O'Brien: Head off turnovers at the pass

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 11/11/2003

WALTHAM -- Imagine the possibilities:

A pass goes where it's supposed to go. A pick is set without turning the
defender into a pretzel. A player moves to the basket with authority, but
without steamrolling his opponent.

All of the above are on Jim O'Brien's wish list. Before the Celtics departed
for Indiana yesterday for tonight's meeting with the Pacers, O'Brien spoke
about his many concerns. Chief among them: turnovers.

He has good reason to be concerned. In statistics released by the league
covering games through Sunday, the Celtics were averaging an unhealthy 17.2
turnovers a game. Only six teams averaged more.

Paul Pierce has 33 turnovers in six games, an average of 5.5. That is No. 1 in
the league by a Secretariat-at-the-Belmont margin. Only three other players --
Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas, and Keith Van Horn -- average as many as four
per game, with Francis the second worst at 4.4.

Vin Baker and Mike James each have 12 turnovers, while Mark Blount has 9.

"We're turning the ball over -- that's a real concern," O'Brien said following
a two-hour workout at the practice facility. "To be where we are in turning
over the basketball, it's like running on a treadmill. We're not getting
anywhere."

Asked if he could put a percentage on turnovers that were self-inflicted,
O'Brien said he credited the defense when an opponent took a charge.
Otherwise, "I haven't seen a lot of times where defense has caused our
turnovers so I would say it's carelessness on our part," he said. "And it's a
very, very big concern to us because we have enough weapons that we can get
good cracks at the basket and shoot a high percentage."

That's the other side of the coin. The Celtics are shooting 45.5 percent from
the field, which in 2003-04 almost qualifies as expert marksmanship. The
league average is a pathetic 42.5 percent; only three teams have a higher
percentage than the Celtics.

And it's not the point guards who are tossing it into the expensive seats, the
coach hastened to add.

"I think it's the whole team," O'Brien said. "Some of it is our big men, some
of it is Paul getting crowded. I think it's something we have to be alert to.
A team has to take it upon themselves to make solid passes."

O'Brien mentioned to the team in practice yesterday that it was shooting a
very good percentage and turning it over at a very bad rate. He then said that
a light bulb should go off in every player's head. The first test will be
tonight.

Saved for the game

Eric Williams, still recovering from a bruised right knee, sat out practice
yesterday but is a go for tonight. With three games in four days, O'Brien said
he felt it was wise to rest the valuable Williams . . . O'Brien on the Pacers:
"They're a tough-minded basketball team. They're 4-0 on the road. They're a
presence in our conference." . . . The Celtics said tickets are still
available for Friday night's game against the Cavaliers and the first
appearance of You Know Who . . . O'Brien said he thought over the summer that
Jumaine Jones was going to be his starting small forward. But Jones has been
injured since the opening of training camp and registered a DNP Sunday after
playing 26 minutes in his first two games. "I really believe he has a chance
of becoming our starting small forward, but he's got to bide his time,"
O'Brien said. "He's got to really produce in practice and when he gets his
chances in a game, he has to show us why he should be a guy who plays a lot of
minutes."

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx