Re: Olympic groups chosen--AP report

At 11:20 PM 11/9/2003, Snoopy the Celtics Beagle wrote:
At 11:00 PM 11/9/03 -0500, Kim Malo wrote:
>...I don't think there are auto bids in Olympics team sports...
>
>Kim, still wishing I could figure out how to parlay speaking Greek and
>traveling there a number of times with my knowledge of basketball into an
>automatic berth of my own <g>

Well, if Pierce makes it to the US team, they'll need a translator who
understands basketball.  And on the flight over, you could explain the
salary cap to them.

As an alternative to narcotics to help them sleep through the flight <g>?

Seriously, why don't you call the C's and give them your resume???

Well the Greek part does no good unless Pierce goes to Athens and I sent them the regular version long ago.

BTW, the only team that gets an automatic berth is the host
country.  That's why, when some countries host the games, the number of
sports they compete in rises drastically from other Olympiads.

Uh -DUH. Thanks for the correction to my no automatic berths. You're absolutely right of course.
Think nice thoughts of the Greeks, who are obviously a people of discriminating good taste. My first trip over there, back in the mid-80s, they asked where I was from and when I said Boston, more often than not the next words were "Larry Bird!!" Tea Party? Pilgrims? Stranglers? Pfui. These are a people who understand what's important <g>

Kim