Re: is there...

In a message dated 11/8/03 3:56:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Kestutis.Kveraga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> OK, maybe you're right, I WAS being unreasonable about Obie. From the
> papers today, it seems to have been mostly Pierce's idea. I still say that a good
> coach sits Pierce down for a few minutes in the 2nd half, both to have him
> more rested at the end of the game, and to remind him to play team ball. I
> can't speak for the other "Obie haters", but I
> would applaud such a move. Look, I WANT to like our coach and to believe
> that he's competent, because I want the Celtics to do well and you need a good
> coach for that. But Obie sometimes  makes it very difficult for me. I realize
> that his main concern is not to be liked by fans, but to win games. However,
> lately he hasn't been doing much of either.
>
> I did like the fact that he went with Banks and Kedrick for so long last
> night, and that he's been trying to incorporate Welsch into the rotation. Maybe
> both Obie and Pierce will figure it out (on the court that is, the post-game
> quotes indicate Pierce knew he screwed up). Still, I only saw a few plays
> where Pierce used staggered picks to get himself free for a shot. They need to
> use him more like Detroit uses Rip
> Hamilton. - Kestas

Kestas,

Your candor is very much appreciated and your opinion valued. I have no doubt
that Obie and Pierce will figure it out as you say. O'Brien is a bright guy
and who is also an old school, no nonsense PG himself. The guy is a basketball
"lifer." Couple that with Pierce's competitiveness and there is no reason they
can't be successful. But Paul is going to have to trust his teammates more.
He has to stop trying to do it all and just play within himself and do the
things he does best as Kim alluded to earlier today. And as DJessen cited, he
really shouldn't be dribbling the ball up the court after a defensive rebound or
in a 1/2 court set. He should be coming off picks ALA Mercer and Reggie Miller
as you suggest or posting up down in the blocks and of course, it goes without
saying running/filling the lane on a wing when the team is on a fast break.

As it relates to O'Brien not winning many games lately, the C's are 2 - 3 and
could easily be 4 - 1 with some better shot selection, a sustained emphasis
on transition, and a stronger commitment to rebounding. Heck, even a record of
5 - 0 is not that much of a stretch IMO. But they are what they are and that
is 2 - 3 with three of those games on the road. They have hung tough against
both the EC finalists from last year and lost another very winnable game on the
road against the only team to beat the Lakers, New Orleans. O'Brien may not be
charismatic, he's definitely not a media hound, and he's probably too
self-effacing for most. Although he has not won *pretty* by eschewing a more
traditional offense in favor of the infamous "3-ball" which is the reason why so many
C's fans are so down on him, in fairness we have to give him a chance to fail
because frankly, all he's done since he took over for Pitino is win. And
that's the bottom line, isn't it?

CeltsSteve