Re: Celtics Talking Trade For Battier?

wayray@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://www.basketball.com/cgi-bin/posters/printPost.cgi?category=fprightfeature3&at=nba1.shtml
>
> 5-Player deal in the works
>
> Ring, ring, ring, that's all Jerry West has been hearing
> lately. Teams are apparently phoning for guard/forward Shane
> Battier. In order for Battier to leave the team, they want size
> and somewhat youth back. Danny Ainge, Celtic's new GM, has been
> eyeing Shane Battier.
> West has been entertained by offers, but seems like the
> Celtic one makes the most sense and West feels it's a good move
> for the Grizzlies franchise. The deal would package Kedrick Brown,
> who has unlimited potential, with rough Eric Williams and big man
> Tony Battie to Memphis for Shane Battier, Wesley Person and a
> future 2nd round pick.

Sounds like a Danny Ainge trade - giving up potential and "UPPPside" for
basketball smarts. Battier is basically a younger, more versatile Eric
Williams. Again, it hinges on Kedrick - if he plays like he did last
night (at least), we're giving up too much; if it's more like he's been
playing up to last night's game, it's a good deal. Battier has a cheap
contract, and Wesley is both a cap throw-in and a perimeter shooter. So
we get a temp shooter to allow Welsch more time to develop and then his
contract conveniently expires. Financially, this deal makes a lot of
sense, and like Ray says, would open up minutes for Perkins/Hunter, but
it may weaken us for the short term. Kedrick may blossom with a running
point guard like Jason Williams.

Kestas