Re: is there...

On Nov 8, 2003, at 2:41 AM, Kim wrote:

> People seem to be ignoring that this is a lot of the same behavior
> people screamed about with Paul during the past couple of years and
> especially in the playoffs. I think part of the problem then was fear
> of never getting the ball back from Antoine. I think part of the
> problem now is trying to figure out his own role. He's not Antoine,
> for good and evil, and I think partially from trying to take over some
> of Antoine's role (for which he's really not suited - a different game
> and personality), partially from the other changes with the team, he's
> trying to do too much. That's screwing up his own game and frustrating
> him and when that happens he responds by forcing things. You can
> practically FEEL the frustration.  He'll get over it. it's only 5
> games into the season and about 2 weeks after the trade, on top of the
> other changes.
>
> Kim
> *********
	Excerpt:

{NETS 94, CELTICS 87
Sick, not tired
Depleted Nets well enough to continue dominance of Celtics

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 11/8/2003

Any snapshot taken of the fourth quarter would inevitably include Paul
Pierce.

He was everywhere, attempting nearly half the Celtics' shots in the
final period. He also committed four of the Celtics' final six
turnovers. The most telling image came with 1 minute 46 seconds
remaining. Pierce fumbled the ball and struggled to regain control near
midcourt. He went to the floor in pursuit of the ball and wound up
sitting on the FleetCenter parquet as Aaron Williams stole it. A quick
pass to Kerry Kittles resulted in a fast-break dunk for the Nets.

It was not the first time in the fourth that a Pierce turnover led to 2
points for New Jersey. It would not be the last time, either. Pierce
tried to do it all in the fourth quarter as the Celtics attempted to
continue their comeback from a 15-point, third-quarter deficit. But the
Boston captain could not twist and turn his way around even a depleted
New Jersey squad.

Following the game, Pierce willingly shouldered much of the blame for
the Celtics' 94-87 loss, just as he had attempted to carry much of the
scoring load down the stretch.

"My decision-making is not where it should be," said Pierce (27 points,
10 rebounds). "I've got to do a better job of that."

The rest of the Celtics came to Pierce's defense. Mark Blount, in
particular, mentioned how the four other players on the floor had to
make it easier for Pierce to find open shots. Blount saw Pierce's
fourth-quarter performance as a byproduct of a team still figuring out
how to play off each other on offense. Last night, the crowd of 17,347
was reminded that the Celtics are still a work in progress, that Jim
O'Brien is still figuring out the best way to fit the pieces together.

"We don't want him twisting and stuff like that [for shots]," said
Blount. "We just want him to catch and shoot or dribble in the lane and
pull up for the jump shot or find somebody else." }

	There were other columns today, one from Peter May, particularly tough
on Pierce. Everyone knows what went wrong. Everyone will try to fix it.
	It's encouraging that Banks played steadily down the stretch, but not
encouraging that O'Brien can't seem to find anyone who can feed the
post (possible exception of Welsch), so Baker can get more than six
shots, or to create some picks and screens for LaFrenz to get more than
four.
	We have no true point guard (yet) and no integrated offense, with all
of the diverse skills we can put on the floor. Asking to Pierce to play
point guard is bad enough, asking him to be the coach, also is
impossible, although Walker may have filled both roles last season, no
one wants to see Paul, try and as the above article indicates.
	JB
Unchain My Heart!