Re: Brevin Knight

In a message dated 11/6/03 1:10:17 PM Pacific Standard Time,
berrym@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Everyone has read the Tony Battie for Brevin Knight speculation. By now,
> you
> also know that Knight was traded to the Wizards for Jahidi White.
>
> Speculation out of Washington is that the Wizards may either ship Knight on
> somewhere else, or waive him altogether. They traded for him simply because
> he has an expiring contract.
>
> I was against a Battie-for-Knight swap, but I'd be thrilled to pick him up
> for virtually nothing. How about Chris Mills and a second-rounder? The Wiz
> still get their expiring contract and add a second-round pick. The Celtics
> get the point guard help they need without hurting the current team, and
> they still have Knight's expiring contract. He's a guy who could stick
> around just this season to man the PG spot until Banks is ready. Maybe Banks
> takes over by midseason. Who knows? But Knight is great insurance.
>
> Knight is one of those guys who just has a knack for running a team. He's
> not a good shooter, he's small and he's injury-prone, but he pushes the ball
> up the floor and thinks pass first all the time. I think he'd be a nice
> addition. Anyone have any thoughts? - Mark

Mark,

That's a great call; assuming that Washington is indeed interested in moving
him again.

His salary, though (according to HoopsHype.com anyway) is exactly $5M and
Mills' salary is $6.6M so unless Washington has a trade exception, one 1 for 1
deal involving Knight for Mills wouldn't fly straight up; the Wiz would have to
throw in another body (Mitchell Butler?) and that, of course, would mean the
C's would promptly have to release him as they'd have too many players.

But it is definitely a "win/win" deal from the C's perspective unless
ownership is counting actual out of pocket expense and saying to themselves "keeping
Mills and allowing the insurance co. to actually pay his salary instead of us
having to pay it is better than trading him for a player that we'd have to be
responsible for paying."

CeltsSteve