Re: more on Directv

My main beef with Dish was twofold:  First, I heard their customer service
was not so hot, from people who've got the service.  Then, when I tried to
order from Dish--which did indeed have a better offer at the time, I quote
from my description of the experience to Jim Metz--I'm quoting MYSELF, so I
don't think he'll object:

"One of those bad news-good news things....I talked to the Dish people
about getting their offer, and had everything arranged, until they ran a
credit check and found we did not qualify for the offer.  However, if we
wanted to fork over $450 up front, they'd refund half of it back over the
course of 12 months.

I asked them if they didn't think we could handle paying $56 a month, how
they figured we were good for nearly $500 up front, they couldn't really
answer that.

So, off I went to DirecTV, which offered an even better deal.  I activated
two new boxes for free, and once I have an account #, I can buy two extra
cards for the old boxes.  Thus for $40, I'll be getting four receivers.  In
addition, they have a deal whereby if you take the Football Pass, you get
their highest level package for free.  This means that I'll be getting free
equipment, and more channels (including NBAtv) while cutting the monthly
bill by 50%. (cable COSTS down here, with no over-the-air
alternative).  Plus, their financial department likes me better, I
guess.  :>)))

They're supposed to be doing the installation next week. Apparently,
business is booming here, with people so ticked off at the local Cox cable
company."

It was my good fortune at that time that DirecTV offered the Football
pass.  I got everything they offered plus the Football pass for just the
cost of the Football pass over the first 4 months.  Because of that deal, I
took the rest of what we had budgeted for the changeover, and got the NBA
pass at the same time, which brought up costs to what I would have normally
paid for a month of their biggest package--but I got two receivers
installed, the Football Pass--which I look at if I'm really bored--and the
NBA pass.  And even then, I'm paying a lot less than I was to those lying,
cheating sons of malformed Muppets at Cox Cable.

About the ONLY thing DirecTV doesn't get that I'd like is NASA TV and I can
get that online.

I can't speak to relative reception to the Dish people, but DirecTv has
been pretty good so far, and way better than Cox--for some reason their UPN
affiliate kept blipping out, and ALWAYS during "Enterprise".  Much better now.

At 04:57 PM 11/6/03 -0500, Bob Strauss wrote:

>There was no installation involved. I clicked on the "select" button, on
>the screen, and that was it.
>
>As to Dish or Directv, the general consensus, at b-boards, and people
>I've spoken with, who have seen or had both, is that Dish's reception is
>poorer than Directs. Perhaps due to their attempt to get more stations?
>More high def? I have not seen pixelization on Directv in 3-4 years.
>Other oddities, but no pixelization. And most problems seem related to
>having out-of-date receivers.
>
>Bob

Snoopy the Celtics Beagle