Deal of the Century

    ''When I first got the job here, a couple of the owners had a
    dinner to look at point guards, and DECIDED ON THEIR OWN that
    Marcus Banks was the best pick in the draft.''
    - Ainge

    ''But we knew that once he worked out for people, we were not
    going to have a chance to get him at 16.''  - Ainge

    ''From an athletic standpoint, confidence and toughness,
    I have no problem with him (Banks) going against any point
    guard in the NBA right now.''  - Ainge

Above are excerpts from a June 27 Boston Herald article (reprinted
below). It contains but a few of the many BT statements that led Celt
fans into thinking that Banks was the coup of the draft - the immediate
answer to our PG prayers. And don't forget the now infamous -

    ''We felt Marcus was the most NBA-ready PG in the draft.''

Who can deny that we were left with the upbeat impression that now
all we needed to penetrate deeper into the playoffs was one other PG
who could perform ALMOST at the level of Banks for the 10-15 crucial
minutes of each game that Banks would be allowed to catch his breath?

Is our BT disappointed in Bank's play so far... consider their recent
silence.  As the years creep slowly by, once again the snow will cover
the grass. I just wonder where our team will be by the time I am too old
to shovel the ...

Egg

---------------
C's money is in Banks: Green deal to get point guard

by Mark Murphy
Friday, June 27, 2003

The plan didn't exactly follow a straight line, but the Celtics snagged
the transition-oriented point guard they craved in last night's draft
thanks to a trade with Memphis.

The Celtics, after taking Boston College's Troy Bell with the 16th pick
and Duke swingman Dahntay Jones with the 20th, traded both to Memphis
for the rights to UNLV's Marcus Banks, who had been taken by the
Grizzlies with pick No. 13.

The Celtics also received the 27th pick from Memphis and used it to
take a high school project who, in the words of Celtics coach Jim
O'Brien, could ``someday be thought of as someone who should have gone
in the lottery.''

Kendrick Perkins, a 6-foot-10 center from Beaumont, Texas, who
impressed the Celtics with what Danny Ainge described as a 9-6 wing
span and a hard-working mindset, gives the Celts a young McDonald's
All-America who can learn behind Tony Battie.

The deal with Memphis was put together yesterday out of concern that
either Seattle with the 14th pick or Orlando with the 15th would take
Banks.

Going with a player whose aggressive style matches Ainge's philosophy
for how the game should be played, the move marks a nice start to
Ainge's era in the Celtics' front office.

The result could be a point guard with an immediate minutes surge once
the season begins.

``When I first got the job here, a couple of the owners had a dinner to
look at point guards, and decided on their own that Marcus Banks was
the best pick in the draft,'' said Ainge. ``Me coming in, and having
seen him (out West), I also felt he was the best in the draft. My son
(Austin, who plays at BYU) played against him during a practice. It's
amazing how we were all on the same page early in the process.

``But we knew that once he worked out for people, we were not going to
have a chance to get him at 16.''

Banks, who worked out early for the Celtics before shutting down
workouts - something that was blamed on injuries and, according to
several general managers, an agreement with the Celtics - didn't need
much time to win over his new floor boss either.

``I love to defend - it's a big plus for me,'' Banks said last night.
``I just want to play my heart out.''

Coming from a player who led the Western Athletic Conference in steals
and assists, and was second in scoring with a 20.3 scoring average,
that mindset couldn't have sounded sweeter to O'Brien.

``Not only can he push the tempo offensively, but he also has an NBA
type of body,'' said O'Brien. ``He's extremely fast, plays great
defense, he can really push the ball, and as soon as we sign him up,
then we get to work with him.''

Perkins, who was on the Celtics' list for consideration at the 20th
pick before the deal with Memphis was struck, may be much more than a
project.

When Ainge talks about the high schooler, who made a favorable showing
in this year's McDonald's All-America game, numbers and dimensions are
the hot topic.

``There was risk in all of the players who were left on the board, but
this kid was a worthy risk with a 9-6 wing span,'' said Ainge. ``He
hasn't had a lot of coaching - enough, maybe, but he has some work to
do for us.''

The same applies to Banks, though in terms of immediate contributions,
the rookie figures to have a rapid effect on the way the Celtics play
basketball from here on out.

``He's a very confident player,'' said Ainge. ``He's the defensive
player of the year in his conference, and one of the most explosive
guards in this draft.

``From an athletic standpoint, confidence and toughness, I have no
problem with him going against any point guard in the NBA right now.
There is obviously going to be a learning curve, and he'll be humbled
along the way, but in the end it will make him better.''

The Celtics closed their evening by taking 6-foot-7, 260-pound forward
Brandon Hunter from Ohio University in the second round. The pick came
from Sacramento in Monday's Darius Songaila trade.