West: " Boston fans are kind of like Laker fans !?!"

West OK with deal
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 11/1/2003

MEMPHIS -- Jerry West, who needs no introduction when it comes to making
trades and building teams, commented on the Antoine Walker deal last night.
While West remains reluctant to talk about the affairs of other teams
(particularly the Lakers), the Memphis president of basketball operations
found the Dallas-Boston deal a "bold" move by Celtics director of basketball
operations Danny Ainge, though he doesn't know who got the most out of it.

"I would say that just knowing Danny a little bit that sometimes you look at
teams and say, `Can we go any farther than where we are with the thing?' "
West said before the Celtics' 93-91 win. "I think [Ainge] is bold and I think
he's going to do a great job there. He's going to do things that will help the
team go forward instead of stay where they are. Boston fans are kind of like
Laker fans. They're used to winning big."

When asked if he thought the deal -- Walker and Tony Delk for Raef LaFrentz,
Jiri Welsch, Chris Mills, and Dallas's 2004 No. 1 pick -- made Dallas a
stronger team, West said, "Absolutely not."

He did not know if the trade made Boston better, noting that Walker played
well for the Celtics.

"Somewhere along the way, you have to have some worker bees, instead of people
who want to shoot the ball all the way," said West. "That's no criticism of
Dallas. They know they don't have that big powerful [center] that everyone
would like to have. I think they thought it was a good move for them from a
number of standpoints."

But of those who remain on the Celtics' roster, West believes Boston has "an
incredibly great player in Paul Pierce." After the Celtics finished their
shootaround yesterday morning, West went over to Pierce and told him he was
proud of what the All-Star shooting guard has accomplished, that he was "a
hell of a player." West said the trade will make Pierce a more complete player
because he will see different looks every night. As for Walker, West thinks
the power forward went to a team where the style "might really be good for
him."

Good reviews

What rookie point guard and Boston College alum Troy Bell lacked in minutes he
made up for in praise from Memphis coach Hubie Brown. Bell did not play last
night (coach's decision).

"Troy has made major advances from the summer and through the exhibition
[season]," said Brown. "The competition at the [point guard] position is very
strong for us with [Jason] Williams and [Earl] Watson. We like [Bell's]
athleticism, his ability to score, his ability to get to the foul line because
he'll take the ball to the basket. He's making major progress."

Bell went to Memphis along with Dahntay Jones in a draft night deal with
Boston, with Marcus Banks and Kendrick Perkins landing with the Celtics.

Bell sounds happy.

"I've been trying to soak it all in," he said. "There's a lot to learn and I'm
young. I'm just watching and I play my position. I've never played for a coach
that talked so much. You learn a lot playing with Hubie and he makes it fun."

On the road back

The Vin Baker comeback continues to gain momentum. Coming up just two rebounds
shy of a double-double, Baker (game-high 24 points) said he feels more
consistency in his game. "It's not about doing it in bunches, but being able
to do it five, six, seven, eight possessions in a row," said Baker. "I think
tonight I moved to 50 percent." . . . After hyperextending his right knee,
Eric Williams is considered questionable for tonight's game in New Orleans . .
. Jumaine Jones (hamstring strain) remains on target to start practicing next
week . . . Jim O'Brien was tagged with his first technical of the season for
arguing a no call with three minutes remaining in the first.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@xxxxxxxxxxxx