Re: Good morning, WayRay

     Simple - the players announcing for the draft are high schoolers and
first and second year college players.  They simply don't stay in college long
enough to gain the polish you'd like.  That was why the collective bargaining
agreement now includes a 4/5 year rookie deal, so you can hope to have your
kidlet develop and resign him. Absent an occasional gem like Kobe, you HAVE to
gamble on the kids.
     Personally, I still like the idea someone proposed here years ago:  a
player gets seven "developmental years," starting after his HS class graduates.
Sign him out of high school?  Seven year rookie contract.  After sophomore
year?  5 year rookie deal.  After college graduation (well, after his class
graduates)?  Three year deal.  It sort of guaratees that you have a mature player
at the end of the rookie contract, and maybe acts as a slight disincentive for
high schoolers to opt for the draft, knowing that if they are a late
first-round pick, they'll get a decent contract, but if they stay in school, they'll
go higher in the draft and get more money.