SPIN

I am confused with all this endless sunshine when I look out my window
and see such dark skies.  Spin, spin, spin - who is better at it-
our Government or our Celtics?

If I could understand either, my first instinct would not be to buy
a one-way ticket to Pago-Pago, traveling light with  a bushel of shrimp,
a case of French wine, and a thousand fond memories of when the world
made sense.

AINGE

Little Mr. bundle of contradictions.

He stated that he was not one to broadcast his future plans for the team.
YET he has quickly become a media source of conflicting spout-mouth..

He stated that he was authorized to use the mid-level exception for
a bargain player.
YET he later claimed he will not use the exception due to luxury tax
restrictions.

He stated that he intended to change our sorry offense by adding players
who could master both fast break and half court basketball. Considering
our low draft picks and cap/luxury tax restrictions,  I wonder who he
was thinking of trading or drafting in order to accomplish this?
YET he also stated (in the sorry event that Obie once again wins out
and we continue to employ the three as our main strategy) that he
intends to bring in players whose specialty is the three, not
necessarily the fast break.

He stated he would not pick up a telephone to suggest a Toine trade.
YET.... ??????

Ainge is his own man, or is he?  One has to wonder if he has just been
thinking out loud, or if the specter of his old pal, Steve Pagliuca, isn't
looming over his shoulder, causing Danny to keep changing his tune.

OBIE

Talk about being in the right place at the right time.  This guy has to be
the luckiest coach in all of sports. And he owes it all to FIVE PEOPLE who
have made him look five-times better than he is.  He has made a living
off being:

1) the SOOTHING ANTIDOTE to the dreaded PITINO. Who wouldn't be?

2) the SYMPATHETIC VICTIM of the inept WALLACE. Our record is117-95
under Obie. But after a six-year playoff drought, why shouldn't we have
finally produced a winning record and made the playoffs these past two
seasons?  After all, we were $12,152,200 over the $40,271,000 cap this
season despite rumors of a chintzy owner.  And seven lottery picks and
two additional first rounders in six Wallace drafts... albeit however
inept... should have produced a more dramatic improvement in Obie's
team than a step backwards to a sixth-place finish in the inferior East.

3) the LOVING SON-IN-LAW of Dr. JACK RAMSEY. Wonder who he is still
more in touch with, his wife or her dad?

4) the KNOW-NOTHING ABOUT DEFENSE GUY who enfolded himself in the
purple of emperors by taking the advice of others and hiring the clever
HARTER.

5) the LUCKY HEIR to a franchise player like PIERCE who has made all the
difference to this team along the lines of a Duncan, Iverson, Kidd, Garnett.

DRAFT

This is not a strong draft even though as usual, each and every prospect
has been generously compared to Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Kidd, McGrady,
Payton, Stockton.  Once again, blacks have been compared to blacks, and
whites to whites.  While T. J. Ford has been compared to a Kenny
Anderson (oh no), Whitey Ridnour has been compared to Stockton.

After the first half-dozen locks, the talent pool is so equal and mediocre
that there is really no need for us to trade up two for one.  A gamble at
#16 will be as good as a gamble at #8.  After smugly ignoring Europe,
NBA BDT's will now go overboard and draft all the wrong European stuff
in an effort to catch up with the times.

BRAIN DOCTOR

This is pretty funny stuff, mostly due to the marvelous Kestas
depiction of Dr. Brain.  And my patient husband wonders why I so enjoy
this list?

In simpler times, NBA management could assess a player's leadership
and character based on his past history on and off the court, a hard-nosed
personal interview, and a thorough check with his coaches, teammates,
scouts, local scribes, etc. It would not have required a brain theorist/
scam artist like Niednagel to tell us that JJ and KB were both passive
personalities lacking the chutzpah or smarts to be franchise players,
or that Forte had a career-shortening defect ... an obnoxious attitude
which no amount of tweener talent would overcome.

Off to Saratoga Springs for a few days to celebrate Memorial Day.
Have a good one.

Egg