Schaller MVP

May 17, 2003
MVP: It's a toss-up Joe Schaller

The Top 5 on my MVP list this year are the same as last year. What's amazing
is their continued improvement. Four of my top six this year made my Most
Improved list. There can be no doubt that the NBA has reached a level of talent
which is far above anything ever before seen save Michael Jordan.

Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett and Tracy McGrady have taken their games to another
level and are all deserving of MVP status this year. McGrady's complete game
is now featured by his Top Scorers status. Garnett has finally developed his
scoring game to compliment his amazing rebounding, defensive and ballhandling
talents. Duncan improves on his deserved MVP from last year. These are great
times for the NBA.

Remember the MVP campaign for Jason Kidd last year? Jason clearly improved on
his scoring this year, not just a little but a lot, yet where was the media
clamor this year? More proof that hype plays a major role with media decisions.
Kidd improved on my MVP list to #8 from last years #13.

And a tip for the pundits- it's Shawn Marion that makes the Suns so good, not
Marbury!

MVP scores are calculated by adding TPR with a bonus for minutes played.

TPR scale: 120+ superstar, 100+ allstar, 80+ starter, 65+ bench, 60 = min
wage

'02-'03 MVP Ratings

_____________TPR_"bonus_score

Kevin Garnett Min___174__23__197

Tracy McGrady Orl__175__20__195

Tim Duncan SA_____171__22__193

Shaquille O'Neal LAL_166__15__181

Kobe Bryant LAL____157__24__181

Dirk Nowitzki Dal____154__21__175

Shawn Marion Pho__144__24__168

Jason Kidd NJ______141__20__161

Paul Pierce Bos_____134__21__155

Karl Malone Uta____133__19__152

Total Performance Ratings (The Total 12)

Scoring

Scoring Efficiency

Ballhandling

Rebounding

Disruptive Defense

One on one Defense

Team Defense

Team Game Pace

Positional Norms

Schedule Strength

Projected Improvement or Decline

Teams Wins Adjustment
Ratings indicate productivity per minute played. See my feature "The TPR
Formula" for more information.

Joe Schaller