Reports: Tomjanovich could leave as Rockets coach

      Reports: Tomjanovich could leave as Rockets coach

      May 23, 2003
      HOUSTON (AP) -- Rudy Tomjanovich is negotiating a settlement of the
final two years of his contract and might leave as coach of the Houston
Rockets, it was reported Friday.

      Tomjanovich was in talks with owner Les Alexander, KRIV-TV and the
Houston Chronicle reported, both citing anonymous sources.

      It was unclear if Tomjanovich would remain with the Rockets. He has been
with the franchise for 33 years as a player, scout or coach.

      Tomjanovich has $12 million left on his contract. He missed the final 17
games last season after he was diagnosed with bladder cancer.

      He refused to comment on the report on the Chronicle's Web site.

      ``Unfortunately, we are not at liberty to comment,'' team spokesman
Nelson Luis told The Associated Press on Friday. ``I can't confirm or deny
anything at this point.''

      KRIV said the talks have been amicable and have taken place through the
week.

      Tomjanovich is the winningest coach in franchise history with a record
of 503-397 in 12 seasons. He led the team to consecutive championships in 1994
and '95.

      Tomjanovich played 11 seasons with the Rockets and his number was
retired in 1982. He is the third-leading scorer in franchise history with
13,383 points.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com