White boys and Mchale.

> Egg, two things hurt Blake--that I can see.  One, he suffers from a
> pigmentation problem.  I sincerely believe that he looks like a weak, little white
> boy--Opie in shorts.  And that throws people off.  Two, the NBA scouts & GMs
> seem to be sheep.  Marty Blake, the old scouting guru, says he doesn't think
> much of Steve Blake, but I haven't seen his reasons.  I suspect it's his thin
> body, tho' he muscled up in the last two years; it could be his outside shot,
> tho' he improved that greatly (better than Ford, I think); it couldn't be
> defense as he is quick laterally and has long arms plus real intensity

It's his shot...
Let's face it the point guard is a high skill position in the NBA.

Relative to a big man most little guys can do almost anything. Nearly all of
them can throw fancy passes, handle fancy dribbling and run the break. Even
our own T. Delk (despite the views of some of this list is actually pretty damn
good on the break) .
Though I will admit he has the worst dribbling skills I have ever seen for a
guy his size.

But anyway why would you select a guy who can't do something basic like hit
outside shots?..When you have guys like Chris Thomas, Marcus Moore, Reece
Gaines et al. who can do all those things?

Scounts do like Blake:
I have read that he is athletic and long armed..
If looking like a weak white boy really hurt you..what about Hinrich and
Dunleavy?
It's not a racial thing..its a skill thing. The smaller you are the more
skills you are expected to have. Scouts ooh and ahh over a simple drop step post
move out of a 7ft guy.. That wouldn't even merit a note out of a guy like Troy
Bell cause every little guy can pull off that move.

If you can't hit the outside shot..see Omar Cooke. I would like to see the
Celts bring him into camp though if he goes undrafted.

It's not all bad..though
You have to think that no matter who rises or falls we will have a shot at
one of the big four... Hinrich, Ridnour, Barbarosa, and Ford. If we amazingly
loose out on all of those (and I doubt that - scouts love big guys) Gaines,
Marcus Moore and Chris Thomas will still be around at 20, and some big European
guy will fall to us at 16.

Personally, I want the brazilian guy. I am not one of those guys who looks
past length and speed at any position.

Personally I am not so sure we should trade up. If we trade up for that
Brazilian guy..who is to say he wouldn't fall to us anyway?

And oh yeah..for a guy with Mchale's length he was VERY athletic. Kevin had
some of the best length ever. He isn't an example of old school basketball
skills trumping genetics..he is a perfect case example of value of genetics and
athleticism.

Pete