RE: Ainge On WEEI

Here's my problem: There seems to be this suggestion that a new GM is going
to change the style of play for the team. When has that ever happened? Obie
will say what he has to say now, but when the season rolls around, we'll
still see the same guys out there. His answer will always bee the same:
"This style gives us the best chance to win." And in terms of the fast
break, he's probably right. There's no way this collection of players should
be pushed to run more-they're terrible at it. So they're not trading Walker
or Pierce, they're not using the mid-level exception, yet we are supposed to
expect a coach who has been to the playoffs each of the last two seasons and
was just rewarded for that with a contract extension worth $6 million to
scrap his system? And tell those same players that, despite what he said the
last two seasons, things are different now? Does anyone think a point guard
drafted at 16 is going to make a difference next season? Of course not.

No, I still think Ainge looks hard and long at what he can get for Antoine.
It's not as simple as saying "We want to run more." To run, you have to have
players capable of first, rebounding, and second, running. The Celtics are
the worst rebounding team and probably the worst running team in the league.
You have to change the personnel if you're going to change to a running
style.

Now, having said that, my biggest problem with the team isn't the lack of
running game (although that drives me crazy). My biggest problem is with the
half-court offense. No movement. No passing. Strictly one-on-one for the
captains and, if they can't get a shot off, a kick out. It's terrible
basketball. Unlike the lack of a running game, which I can understand with
the players on the roster, you'll never convince me that this style of
half-court offense gives them the best chance to win. Never. As long as I've
been watching basketball, I've never seen an example where a stagnant,
motionless, one-on-one, no-passing approach worked better than a
free-flowing, passing offense. Never. And I refuse to believe that this team
is so uniquely structured that this is the first time in the history of
basketball that the one-on-one, no-passing style is the best way to win. And
if the argument is that in order to get them to commit on defense, you have
to let them play that way on offense, then the players have to change.
Period. Nothing is going to change if you have the same coach and the same
players. And it's naove to think it will.

The one encouraging quote from Ainge was about not paying attention to
comments about a coach made by players "who get to shoot whenever they
want." He sees it. He sees that those guys aren't being coached at all on
offense. But seeing it and doing something about it are two different
things. Obie won't change if the same players are back next season. He's
going to have to be forced to change-and I still say that means trading
Antoine and, most importantly, finding a point guard (and not one named
Kenny Anderson, Travis Best, Eric Strickland or Kirk Hinrich).

Mark