Re: Jay Williams

At 10:27 AM 5/20/2003 -0700, you wrote:
I'm not sure what sources we're talking about but let's review the opinions
on Antoine. If I'm to believe everything I read on this list, and believe me
I do, Antoine has some skills but they're in decline as his numbers of the
last two years prove. What diminishing skills he has are undermined by his
being selfish, stupid, a coach killer(Pitino)...he makes it impossible for
his coach - 2 coaches so far - to
implement a running game...he makes it impossible for a gm to acquire a 1 or
4- it would be futile as Antoine demands major minutes at both those
positions at once - he only cares about himself and
his numbers as he isn't willing to do what the team needs to win, that is,
he only
cares about taking threes and refuses to go inside.....what else......he
refuses to give up the ball, he's inconsistent but consistently going
downhill (last two years), will get worse with age and....did I mention he's
a dumb basketball player. Am I leaving anything out? If all this is
true....this guy is a cancer. Forget ever posting, "I didn't say Antoine
didn't have value, or skills...," because in order to overcome the player I
described above, and the player described on this list over the past two
weeks, you'd need the upside/skill sets of Bill Russell and Jery West to
overcome someone that destructive and uncoachable. And for those of you who
beleive all the above about Antoine, and God knows I'd never disagree, then
trades for Jay Williams are impossible. If we all know this about Antoine,
don't you think the rest of the league knows it also?

That what I fear. It's actually kind of funny, Paul. . . Your parody of our views on Antoine is far closer to reality than you'd like to admit. I wish Antoine were a "cancer" - everything would be on the up-and-up. But it's far more insidious and complicated than that.

Jay Williams is going
to be a future All-Star point guard. You don't trade postive difference
makers for an uncoachable franchise/gm/coach killer whose game is in rapid
decline. Having said all that, the best the team is going to get, and I'm
sure you'll all like this, is Damon Stoudamire. The Blazers have two other
point guards, Damon is small and inconsistent but what do you think you'll
get for Satan? Damon will run, pass the ball, has a ton of energy...he's
much better than the Celtics current point guards, including Antoine, and
the Blazers would make the deal, I'm convinced. Why shouldn't the Celtics?
They should, if they can also get some rebounding fool (or a promise of one via the draft) in the exchange. But they won't do it, because Stoudamire is a "bad contract" and Antoine, supposedly an All-Star (but try getting another legit All-Star for him). Damon would certainly liven things up a lot. But under Obie, he'd sit because he's short and not physical enough.