Re: A few thoughts...

--- Douglas342@AOL.com wrote:
     As for women in men's sports, don't forget the steady trickle of women
driving race cars.  Shirley Muldowney was #1 in her class for some years;
Sarah Fisher will start mid-pack at Indianapolis next weekend.  The first
woman drove at Indy in 1977.
    I know no one who thinks Annika will do very well.  I think the bar that
is being set for her by the media is making the cut.  She is being very
tight-lipped, not setting any goals for herself, just stating that she wants
to try her game against the best in the world.
--- end of quote ---

Nice post.  As a fellow racing fan(atic), I've long thought that auto racing would provide an ideal opportunity for women to break into athletics at the top level.  The physical strength and talent required by auto racing is rooted heavily in both endurance and ability to withstand g-forces, two areas where women either do not significantly lag behind men (in the first example), or are more suited than men (in the second).  The Air Force has been researching for some time whether or not women are not only as well suited, but perhaps better suited, to certain fighter pilot missions.

As for Anika, I happen to believe her when she says that she's not trying to make some bold statement of principle, but rather that she is just tired of whooping competition when better competition is out there.  And for that, I applaud her, because that is, after all, the essence of competetive spirit.

I hope she makes the cut.  I hope she finishes very well.  Hell, I hope she wins, although it's highly unlikely.  She's a true competitor, and I like atheletes that haven't forgotten how to compete.  Good for her.

Fred

P.S.  Was Jordan that much worse as a GM than Unseld?  ;-)