Re: A few thoughts...

     As for women in men's sports, don't forget the steady trickle of women
driving race cars.  Shirley Muldowney was #1 in her class for some years;
Sarah Fisher will start mid-pack at Indianapolis next weekend.  The first
woman drove at Indy in 1977.
    I know no one who thinks Annika will do very well.  I think the bar that
is being set for her by the media is making the cut.  She is being very
tight-lipped, not setting any goals for herself, just stating that she wants
to try her game against the best in the world.
     As for sponsor exemptions, every tournament has a number of slots for
them, but usually they go to players who can't get in through the several
different methods used to select a field.  I noted that one Texan was added,
as well as a former 2-time U.S. Open winner.  So, contrary to the post, I
think such slots are usually used for regular PGA Tour players who don't
otherwise qualify.
    It's a big sports weekend for someone like me, who is interested in the
Colonial, the NBA playoffs, and auto racing both at Indianapolis and
Charlotte.
 - Doug (who thinks Annika will miss the cut by one or two shots)