Things I'd like to see changed in the NBA

Playoff seedings: Why not just seed according to record, regardless of
conference?

If a Detroit-NJ conference finals is not an argument for this I don't know
what is... League-wide seedings would allow the better teams to play longer
and hopefully the best two teams to meet in the finals. (Or at least two of
the best four teams in the league... and who knows, maybe Minny could make
it out of the first round.)

Yeah, I know that the two conferences play more games within the conferences
than without, but if you seed the top 16 regardless of conference it *still*
helps those teams in the tougher conf despite the stiffer competition during
the season. Stern, make it so!

Three-pointers: How about limiting the 3-pointer to the last two minutes of
any period?

Any shot beyond the arc only counts as two unless taken after the two minute
mark of the period in question. They already alter the rules regarding
fouls at the two minute mark and they have the TV review capability in place
to review last second shots.

The three pointer is a shot better used on rare occasions because (a) it is
so damn disruptive of pace and flow and (b) it is so dramatic. Just got done
watching tapes of most of the 1984 finals and apart from the superior
officiating (Magic and Bird whistled for traveling?) and amazing talent
depth -- neither of which are subject to a quick fix -- what stood out most
was the lack of three pointers or conversely the number of high-percentage
shots that *were* taken instead.

Limiting the 3-pointer to the last two minutes would let the NBA have its
cake and eat it two -- better tempo and last minute drama.

Random Celts/playoff thoughts:

Now that Danny has spoken and we now know that Antoine will never be traded
(wink wink) I guess we can forget any chance of swapping our erstwhile PF to
Chicago for Tyson Chandler, Jay Williams and Eddie Robinson (works under the
cap)... those three could start for us (with Battie sliding to the 4).

And I'd be wary of the Siberian Bear - the Celts have generally done well
with athletic, fast centers -- even if they were not the biggest players at
their position (Russell, Cowens, Parish). Of course, the Celts used to win a
lot by fast-breaking as well....

Speaking of fast-breaking, it was great watching SA run the Lakers out of
their own building. The faster tempo meant that Shaq had nothing left to
give in the fourth quarter. I can't imagine it is much fun lugging 375
pounds (just how big is he really?) up and down the court in an up-tempo
game.

And when did Shaq take up flopping to the floor after every other offensive
move? I've seen it consistently this year and it looks *pathetic*... and
apparently even the refs -- usually so willing to cater to his largeness --
agree.

Kudos to the author of the PRICELESS comment - I laughed out loud!

Cheers - TomM