[no subject]

Ainge knows better than most by now that as invaluable as Walker has
been to the Celtics' rise over the last two seasons, the Celtics' co-captain
also has too many league-wide detractors to ever bring equal value in a
trade. Two years from now, when Walker is in his final year, the dynamic
will be different.

But moving him now would not only be difficult on the basis of matching
up salaries, it would also, at best, bring two or three players of mid-level
or lower ability into the fold.

Pierce needs a player of Walker's proven game-breaking ability on the
other side of the floor to force a modicum of honesty out of opposing
defenses.

Depending on what filters down to the 16th and 20th picks in the draft,
Ainge will be looking for a minimum level point guard - certainly not
anyone in the salary ballpark of a playmaker like restricted free agent
Andre Miller.

That could mean making another pitch for on-the-move-again Travis Best,
or checking into more expensive propositions like restricted free agent
Jason Terry, or Portland's Antonio Daniels. Even Erick Strickland or
Kevin Ollie, a proven journeyman, may not look that bad for the right
price.

Kenny Anderson or Brian Shaw, anyone?

By resolving O'Brien's extension early, all of these matters move onto the
front burner.  And besides, Ainge also had to know what kind of loyalty he
would have challenged if the O'Brien situation had dragged on. Part of the
reason the Celtics responded so well in their first-round upset of the
Pacers - just as during their run to last season's Eastern Conference finals
-
is because they buy into the coach's plan.  Mutiny would have been a distinct
possibility if a new coach had followed O'Brien.

Stern stuck in the middle
While the end of the Lakers' reign brought several players to tears,
including Kobe Bryant, commissioner

David Stern probably doesn't know how to react.

As the unbending arbiter of salary cap purity - and thus parity - Stern has
to love the fact that the Spurs knocked the Lakers out of the loop last
Thursday night.

On the other hand, his ratings-starved playoffs now lack that prime
drawing card.  Tim Duncan? He truly is the NBA's MVP. But compared to
Shaq and Kobe, he has the appeal of dried plaster.  But so be it. The Spurs'
second-round dismissal of the Lakers stands as further proof that the
NBA, ever so slowly, is moving more in the direction of NFL-style parity.

San Antonio's accomplishment may be just as rare as the Lakers' ability to
win three straight titles. Indeed, their elimination keeps them from
becoming the only team other than the Celtics of the 1960s to win four
straight titles.

The last team that eliminated the Lakers? The Spurs, on their way to the
1999 title.  The Lakers' playoff victory run was thus stopped at 13
straight series wins. Up until Thursday, the team was also 4-0 under
Jackson when facing elimination in a playoff series.

Elbow room for Mutombo
Thanks to their sweep of the Celtics, it seems as if the Nets haven't
played a game in a month.  And when they finally re-emerge in the Eastern
Conference finals, rested and as cocky as ever, don't be surprised if their
look changes slightly from the group that so soundly roasted the Celtics.
The sight of Dikembe Mutombo ceremoniously pushing a broom on the
parquet following Game 4 was apparently the start of something bigger
for the big guy. New Jersey coach Byron Scott has indicated that Mutombo
may actually play in the next series.

``I believe and respect everything my coach says,'' said Mutombo. ``Coach
and I haven't sat down and talked yet, but the moment will come when
we talk. But I'll definitely get a chance to play more. I can see myself
having a chance to play more.''

He certainly appears to be ready. Mutombo punctuated a practice last week
by elbowing Kenyon Martin in the neck and knocking him out of practice.

Rogers back on track
An addendum on the Celtics/Nets series, which found Rodney Rogers
playing some of his best basketball of the year - which may not be
saying all that much considering his problems over the first two-thirds
of the season.

``In the first round, we were 1-1 with Milwaukee, and then he won
Game 3 with that jumper, and things just rolled on from there,'' Nets
general manager Rod Thorn said of the former Celtic. ``I think the
problem was that he was not in top flight condition when he came here,
he missed a month, and that affected everything. But right toward the
end of the season he played good for us, and then he became a real plus.

``The problem was that he couldn't make shots,'' he said. ``You start
missing, and then other bad things start happening. But that's finished.
He's making shots again.''