Re: Me and Paul... Stockton and Malone, Blanchard and Davis

At 08:26 AM 5/15/2003 -0400, you wrote:
L'il Ms. Brownie has done it again.  Nothing like an early morning
Yeah, no kidding. Somehow, she's always the bad news bearer - perhaps because she's the official spokeswoman of Toine, Obie, and Wallace.

Thanks, Shira.  #$%^%$##*&^&&##*&%^(^%!

And now on to Toine's quotes du jour:

    ''The last three years have been very good for me.''  - Toine

Except for your diminished skills, but who's counting? Certainly not
your teammates or coach.  According to Shira, ''Walker provides a voice
everyone in the locker room listens to, including coach Jim O'Brien.''
Especially coach Jim O'Brien. Thanks for the job security, Antoine.

    ''I would like for me and Paul to go down like Stockton and
    Malone and finish our careers in one city together.''  - Toine

Too bad it has to be in Boston, Toine -  ah err I mean, Malone, Jr.
You can thank Mr. Hands On, our own Jerry West (Pagliuca) for messing
up any possible trade by so ''subtly'' shopping you for the past several
months.  You know what, Toine, you are TWICE BLESSED - no one would
offer us nuttin' of value for you AND you get to stay on here to continue
to dominate with your ''versatile style'' and make mockery of the PF
position.
Please, do elaborate.

    ''So, we'll be right back in the same position, hopefully
    again next year.''  - Toine

That's one quote from the article I wholeheartedly I agree with. Obviously, he thinks that's good enough.

    ''I was impressed,'' said Walker. ''We (he and Ainge) talked a
    lot about basketball, his basketball knowledge of the team,
    about MY game.''   - Toine

According to Shira, after seven seasons plus one meeting with Ainge,
you finally look forward to playing a more uptempo style next year,
believing that it will create more easy baskets for yourself and Paul.
Wonder how good your legendary short-term memory will be come
next November.

By running, he means he will saunter to the 3-point line while the fast-break (such as it is for the Celtics) is going on. This one memory sticks in my mind from the Nets series (I think in Game 3). Bremer is leading the fast break on the far side of the court, sprinting all out. He's the only one running hard. On the near side, Walker is sort of strolling towards his favorite 3-spot, the discontinuity in the 3-point line where the semi-circle becomes a straight line, but never actually gets there. Bremer is handled by two or three Nets' defenders who have no one else to worry about. The "fast break" ends in a turnover.

    ''Well, the rebuilding process is over. We're in the playoffs now.
    It's not like we're getting in and losing in the first round. We're
    getting in there and advancing.''  - Toine

Tighten the pink strait jacket.  The above says it all.
This is proof positive of what I said yesterday - these guys don't care about winning championships. They mostly care about making money and being in a comfortable situation.

    ''Now, it's time for us to add pieces to the puzzle, to where
    we can take it to that next level and compete for No. 17.
    We're right at the door.''  - Toine
This is empty talk in an attempt to give fans what they want to hear. Apparently, Toine thinks we're stupid and can't tell a mediocre EC team from a true championship contender. Or maybe he really believes what his posse tells him.
Dude, PAY ATTENTION: you were swept by the Nets, who themselves will be lucky not to be swept in the Finals by any of the Western final four. That's how far away you are. You were 0-8 against the Western final four, and if you played 10 games against each of these teams in the playoff mode, it's very likely that the Celtics would be 0-40. The difference is THAT large. It's like a Division III school playing against one of the NCAA powerhouses.

We had less only a few days to rejoice and to finally have some hope for the future. Now it's cruelly being extinguished by the party propaganda mouthpiece, li'l Ms. Brownnose (who's quite the opposite with people she doesn't need to kiss up to). The honeymoon is over.

Please, please, please, someone tell me this is all just a ploy by Ainge to increase Toine's trade value, that he's not being sucked in by the same swamp as the rest of the recent Celtics reformers, not being talked into the same Faustian bargain that Obie made with our very own Mephistopheles.

I have a new-found respect for Peter May who has presented his opinion on this matter (wrong as it may with regard to Obie) without worrying that our Boston Strangler will have a dim view of such insolence. Peter May could be in danger of losing Toine's scraps of wisdom next time he tries to interview him. But there's always Shira for that. If the Commish weren't imprisoned by the PC police, he'd probably be saying similar things about Ainge's plans. I'm already feeling like another Baker trade is about to go down and I'm powerless to stop it.
Kestas