Me and Paul... Stockton and Malone, Blanchard and Davis

SteveB, as good neighbors, I thought we were friends.  So how come you
brought us Shira's morning column which I have reprinted below?

L'il Ms. Brownie has done it again.  Nothing like an early morning Shira
read to make my hair curl, eyes spin, and cause my keepers to once
again in the prime of my day quickly outfit me in a pretty-in-pink
strait jacket.  If it's Thursday, it must be pink.

Thanks, Shira.  #$%^%$##*&^&&##*&%^(^%!

And now on to Toine's quotes du jour:

    ''The last three years have been very good for me.''  - Toine

Except for your diminished skills, but who's counting? Certainly not
your teammates or coach.  According to Shira, ''Walker provides a voice
everyone in the locker room listens to, including coach Jim O'Brien.''

    ''I would like for me and Paul to go down like Stockton and
    Malone and finish our careers in one city together.''  - Toine

Too bad it has to be in Boston, Toine -  ah err I mean, Malone, Jr.
You can thank Mr. Hands On, our own Jerry West (Pagliuca) for messing
up any possible trade by so ''subtly'' shopping you for the past several
months.  You know what, Toine, you are TWICE BLESSED - no one would
offer us nuttin' of value for you AND you get to stay on here to continue
to dominate with your ''versatile style'' and make mockery of the PF
position.

    ''So, we'll be right back in the same position, hopefully
    again next year.''  - Toine

Thanks for the hope that stings, Toine; the mere fluttering of life's
ignorant wings.

    ''I was impressed,'' said Walker. ''We (he and Ainge) talked a
    lot about basketball, his basketball knowledge of the team,
    about MY game.''   - Toine

According to Shira, after seven seasons plus one meeting with Ainge,
you finally look forward to playing a more uptempo style next year,
believing that it will create more easy baskets for yourself and Paul.
Wonder how good your legendary short-term memory will be come
next November.

    ''Well, the rebuilding process is over. We're in the playoffs now.
    It's not like we're getting in and losing in the first round. We're
    getting in there and advancing.''  - Toine

Tighten the pink strait jacket.  The above says it all.

    ''Now, it's time for us to add pieces to the puzzle, to where
    we can take it to that next level and compete for No. 17.
    We're right at the door.''  - Toine

Open Sesame... and don't stop to subtract faith and fallacy from fact.
Otherwise, I might just starve upon its residue.

Egg

-----------------
Cocaptain appreciates reassurance
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 5/15/2003

Antoine Walker planned to play his first round of offseason golf this
morning, joined by the Celtics' travel and equipment manager, John
Connor, and ''the boys.''

The group affectionately referred to as ''the boys'' usually includes a
few members of the Celtics' staff who work at the team's Merrimac
Street offices, showing just how thoroughly invested Walker has
become in the organization. The Celtics' cocaptain has become good
friends with guys in sales and marketing, operations and team services.

So, it was with understandable relief that he learned from new executive
director of basketball operations Danny Ainge that he would not be shopped
around this summer as part of a trade. Ainge gave Walker the news Tuesday
after a team meeting.

''Obviously, I'm excited to hear that, especially from the guy that's taking
over the team,'' said Walker, reached at the Waltham-based venture
capital firm he shares with business partner Eric Williams. ''I'm just
happy for the reassurance. I've spent a lot of years here. The last three
years have been very good for me. I just want it to continue. The way I
look at the situation, I watch basketball and I follow it, and I would like
for me and Paul to go down like Stockton and Malone and finish our
careers in one city together.''

Walker knows firsthand what it's like to deal with offseason trade rumors.
He had that under former head coach and president Rick Pitino. But Walker
is looking past this summer -- he has two more years on his contract,
but the Celtics have the option to extend his deal this summer.

Negotiating an extension will be left up to Walker's agent, Mike Higgins,
and Ainge, though Walker said he wants to finish his career with the
Celtics. Walker hopes management will recognize what he brings on and
off the court, from points, rebounds, and assists to leadership. Walker
provides a voice everyone in the locker room listens to, including coach
Jim O'Brien.

''At this point in my career, I don't even worry about it,'' said Walker.
''I understand it's a business and anything can happen. I think I've shown
that I can lead this team in many different ways, on and off the court.
I hope that obviously management would take that under consideration.
I've got an opportunity coming up this summer, in July, to get an extension.
My goal is to be here and finish my career here. Hopefully, that takes place.
Obviously, that remains to be seen. I'll be anxious to see that.

''If it goes the other way, I'll just play basketball. I'm still a Celtic. I
still
think we've got an opportunity to get to the Finals the way the Eastern
Conference is. I don't think the Eastern Conference is going to change all
that much besides guys individually getting better. So, we'll be right
back in the same position, hopefully again next year.''

Walker has confidence Ainge can improve the team without a wholesale
overhaul. In addition to hearing positive comments about his new boss
from former Celtics, Walker was encouraged by their first meeting. Walker
also looks forward to playing a more uptempo style next year, knowing
it will create more easy baskets for himself and Paul Pierce. Aside from
morning rounds of golf, Walker plans to dedicate himself to his summer
conditioning program.

''I was impressed,'' said Walker. ''We talked a lot about basketball, his
basketball knowledge of the team, about my game. Everything I've heard
from M.L. [Carr] and a lot of people say he's a good guy. I'm looking forward
to the opportunity of him building our team. I don't think it's necessarily
me having a personal, one-on-one relationship with him. I think we have
to have a working relationship and respect each other. Obviously, as we
go along, our relationship can grow.

''I just want him to do what's best for this team and the organization.
I think we've worked very hard to rebuild this team. I think a lot of people
right now are saying we're rebuilding. Well, the rebuilding process is over.
We're in the playoffs now. It's not like we're getting in and losing in the
first round. We're getting in there and advancing. Now, it's time for us to
add pieces to the puzzle, to where we can take it to that next level and
compete for No. 17. We're right at the door.

''All of us, starting with myself and Paul, we have to work out very hard
this summer and get ourselves in great shape so we can come in and give
ourselves the best opportunity to win.''