Jackie O

Predictable home-team type journalism by McMullan in the Globe today.  Essentially, she said that since everyone is suggesting that Walker be traded, it must be the wrong thing to do, or the wrong timing.  So, of course, I think her evidence makes the opposite point.

Main argument:  his value is low.  Well, perhaps so, but that begs the question:  will it get any better by waiting?  Will he show how good he can be next year and thus bring an equal trade?  If so, why trade him?  The reasons for trading Walker are many, but the main issue is that he has not used his talents to make the team better.  Plus, his presence keeps the team from re-direction.  If he truly believes, as quoted, that "we're there," that we only need tweaking, then what's to motivate him to sublimate his "star" for the team?  After seven years, I don't think he can do it.

It could be very different.  Had JJ the fire, Kedrick the breakthrough, Rodgers been retained, Parker been drafted instead of Forte, and on and on--if we had the players, Walker might have become the catalyst rather than the one who dominated the ball.  But that's not the case.  We need players and Walker may be the best bet for getting one key player.  Trade value low; let's find out.  There's lots of hubris in the league; there are people who think they could make Walker work for them.  Let's find out.  I like Walker, but his ability to get close to teammates, to garner a posse within and without, to dominate the coach, all these things insulate him from being able to be the real team leader on the court.  Better to start next season with more talent and work toward the playoffs than think Walker will become what we need.  That's my current thinking.  Gene