Points!

> I kinda like Ridnour.  I see Maravich in this guy...actualy a more
> controlled Jason Williams of the Grizzlies.
> Heinrich disappears in big games. Steve Blake is kinda soft and one
> dimensional but could really hit the 3.  Bell reminds me of another Bremer.
>
> if all these guys are still on the board when we pick, I'd definitely take
> Ridnour.  Just my 2 cents....

Well I don't consider myself "anti-Ridnour". I don't really follow the
college game that well, and I haven't seen him enough to really say. It just
seems to me that small sleight players are the exception in the NBA. When the
succeed they have some atypical characteristics like out of this world
quickness and/or more importantly excellent length. Take AI for example he
has VERY long arms. An NBA player wants to have longer arms and shorter legs
relatively.

Kevin Mchale of course is the classic example..and 6'10 with those arms he
could play much longer then anyone. It didn't matter that he couldn't jump
well..he could still play fantastic defense and block shots. His body enabled
him to play bigger then he really was.

Ridnour's skill has alot of physical limitations to overcome. He could be the
next Steve Nash...or the next Dan Dickau. Its just that if your a betting man
you get a little anxious when your team picks a guy like him. In short he is
a "high risk" pick, IMHO.

Its like the whole "next larry bird" thing. A guy like Larry Bird is
incredibly rare. You try to draft a guy who can surpass his
length/speed/jumping ability limitations with  skill vision and
coordination..and you will be draftly badly for many years, IMHO.

That's why I said he has "bust" written all over him. Hinrich if you judge by
the scouting report (and that's all really I have seen) is a better bet. He
is taller, quicker, jumps higher and seems longer AND he is said to have a
real set of point guard skills - passing, ball handling etc.

Blake..from what I have read is physically gifted, ultra-quick with long arms
and has good point guard skills but just can't shoot at all. For that reason
he is slated towards the second round.

Incidentally many guys rate higher then Blake...Barbosa, Reece Gaines, Bell,
Mo Williams and Marcus Moore and Chris Thomas.

It will be interesting to see who we draft. Ridnour is the KIND of player we
would like to have. But is he good enough to succeed? There is a reason why
he is slated mid to late lottery.. Don't be shocked if we pass on a point at
16 and draft a second tier first rounder like Marcus Moore at 20.

I might be tempted to grab him at 16 simply because we are desperate for a
guy who does real point guard things. But DA might have more discipline then
me.

I believe the draft is something that comes down to luck.and Ridnour is a
gamble..DA has only drafted one notable guy in his history Shawn Marion. So
don't assume that he will draft the white guy. Little chance that we take BYU
guy Hansen IMHO. He is second round material all the way.

Pete