Re: I'm thankful for this series...

I, too, think, it's a good thing, as painful in the short term as it is. This
gives Ainge a mandate to act decisively instead of beating around the bush, and
hopefully disabuses the ownership of any notions they might have had about the
Celtics' perceived competitiveness.
<...>

--- You wrote:
4.	Trading Antoine... Well, the bandwagon is nearing maximum occupancy.
While I agree, it's vitally important that Ainge not make a bad deal just to
get rid of him. You could live with a deal like that to get rid of a Vin
Baker (unless you're Seattle, when you actually get the two best players and
all the best contracts). But Antoine isn't that kind of problem player. You
have to find the right deal. It won't be easy, but it can and probably will
be done. I'd say Antoine's value, despite this series, still far exceeds the
low-end suggestions (anything involving Dale Davis).
--- end of quote ---

Yes, Ainge should try to hang Baker on Walker (not literally, you bloodthirsty
hyenas! :) . That will likely mean that we get no one good in return, but I
could live with it for a high pick (s) and expiring salaries. If we draft
wisely and use the newly created room under the cap/luxtax to sign one or two
quality players next summer, we might be in really good shape in a year or two.

As for trying to get quality players for Toine, I had proposed a Walker/Baker+
for Wallace/Stoudamire trade back when 'Sheed was having his usual bout of
problems, Damon was in the back of Cheeks's doghouse and they were desperate to
get rid of him and his bloated contract.  That's a super-talented, long PF and
a real (though decidedly NOT long) PG in one fell swoop. But it was probably
unrealistic even then, and more so now - unless Chris Wallace becomes
Portland's GM :)

(Amazingly, it turns out that Chris Wallace is a genius NBA GM - something
that's totally unrecognized and grossly unappreciated in Boston, except by a
few people on this list. If the same evaluation rules applied in the business
world, Enron's managers would be the hottest commodities in the CEO market
right now. Unbelievable! But hey, if someone is stupid enough to take him off
our hands and totally FUBAR their team, more power to them. The owners save
money, we rid ourselves of the Inspector Clouseau of NBA GMs, then we can turn
around and immediately fleece whatever team he ended up with, and might even be
able to extract a pick for him, the way Riles did with Ricktator. Talk about a
win-win-win-win situation!).

--- You wrote:
5.	Did anyone else see Ainge talk to Alonzo Mourning during one of the
TNT broadcasts? Apparently he said something like "you'd look great in
green... " And Mourning responded with "Green is one of my favorite
colors... " That's just chit chat, but does anyone think Ainge might have
had Mourning in mind when he talked (joked?) about finding a $10 million
player with that $4.5 million exception? It would be a risk, obviously, but
that would be interesting. Even if he's only as healthy as he was last
season, Mourning would be a significant addition. It's definitely in the
realm of longshot what-ifs, but what the heck?
--- end of quote ---

Obviously, the critical part in any Mourning deal is to limit the length of his
contract as much as possible (team option after every year would be ideal).
However, whether the market conditions allow it is another question. If Dallas
or Portland or SA want his services, we can forget about it. Unless it's an
expanded sign-and-trade for Toine et al.  like Ray suggested.

--- You wrote:
6.	Obie... I think Ainge is waiting to evaluate Obie because Ainge
knows what needs to be done to this team and he's not going to reward Obie
with an extension if Obie isn't on board. Is Obie a one-trick pony? In other
words, if you take Antoine away, can Obie change the way he coaches this
team?
--- end of quote ---

That's the thing. If I were Ainge, I'd ask Obie point-blank - if I free you
from Antoine's captivity and get you some conventional talent, will you coach
differently? What will your strategy be? I think Obie might be honest enough to
give a straight answer. Besides, he'd probably have options elsewhere, likely
for more money. If he wants to continue in the present rut, let him go
elsewhere, hopefully extracting a pick for him in the process. Why should they
both suffer each other's company if they're not seeing eye-to-eye on strategy?
 The player rebellion that one of the scribes predicted this weekend if Obie is
let go would undoubtedly be led by Toine. A trade would solve that problem as
well. No person - no problem, as Uncle Josif was fond of saying. I'm sure most
other players like Obie too, but no one has professed such undying love for
Obie as Toine (shocking, I know). Then Ainge can hire another former Celtic and
players' coach, Paul Silas.

--- You wrote:
Sorry so long. I'm just excited about the future of this team for the first
time since before the 2001 draft.
--- end of quote ---

Don't be sorry, keep posting. I don't think I'm the only one on this list who
enjoys your posts.

Kestas