Court of last resort for Celtics

Win tonight would be significant

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 5/12/2003

ALTHAM -- Given NBA playoff history, tonight would appear the beginning of the
end for the Celtics. No team has come back from an 0-3 deficit to advance.

Given all the distractions that have surfaced throughout the Celtics-Nets
Eastern Conference semifinal, making playoff history would appear the least of
the Celtics' worries. Questions about the Antoine Walker-fan incident and what
Danny Ainge will do in the offseason were constant yesterday. Players answered
with variations of no comment on both accounts, trying to keep the focus on
Game 4.

The team known for its resilience, its ability to engineer late-game
comebacks, now has no choice but to find a way to win one against New Jersey.
The Celtics want to win one for themselves, though showing the new executive
director of basketball operations something about the character of this group
would be a side benefit. To borrow a phrase from Ainge, the players want a
chance to ''turn this thing around'' on the parquet. They have 48 minutes to
make their case.

''I think we need to make this a series,'' said Walker. ''New Jersey is a very
good team and they've played well this series. I don't think they're a sweep
better than us. That's just me personally. I don't think they're four games
better than us. We've got to prove that. Obviously, they've got control.
They've got veteran guys who have been there before. On the rest side, they're
thinking if they can get one game, they get a lot of rest and just wait on the
Philly [vs. Detroit] series. We've just got to try and extend the series.

''We're not giving up on this series. It's our first time being down 3-0.
We're a team that's capable of getting on a run. The only way you can get on a
run is to get one [game]. We know we haven't played good basketball. We
haven't done it on both ends. We've played good basketball in spurts, in
quarters, but to win in the playoffs in the second round you've got to play
for 48 minutes. It starts on the defensive end. It starts with our energy
level. We've got to be the aggressor.''

One week ago, the best-of-seven series was beginning at Continental Airlines
Arena. The Celtics knew they had a tough challenge ahead. They knew all about
Jason Kidd, Kenyon Martin, and Richard Jefferson. They saw hours of game film
and special edits on specific players. Nothing the Celtics have seen on the
court has been really surprising, except maybe the number of careless
turnovers they committed in Games 2 and 3. That and the fact they have fallen
behind by three games.

Until the two-day break between Games 3 and 4, there was a game every other
day. The limited time between contests allowed New Jersey to sustain momentum.
It prevented Boston from regrouping, giving its eight-man rotation little time
to rest and get past poor performances. Even the players admitted the series
picked up speed and proceeded faster than they thought it would. Still, Paul
Pierce believes the Celtics' season is far from over. Then again, what else
could he say with his team facing elimination?

''I still feel confident about our team,'' said Pierce. ''I feel like this
series is long from over. We've just got to make a few adjustments. My whole
mind-set is to turn this into a seven-game series, take it one game at a time.
I'm looking forward to going back to New Jersey.''

Before the Celtics can make a return to Continental Airlines Arena, they must
win tonight. To do that, they must play good basketball, something they have
yet to do this series against the Nets.

''When you're one-and-done, then your ability to get the job done in the next
game will be tested,'' said Boston coach Jim O'Brien. ''If you don't get it
done, then you're on summer vacation and nobody wants to be on summer
vacation. We have not played good basketball this series. We all accept that.
We all assume responsibility for that.

''Certainly, there will be some adjustments that we need to make. We have
practiced. But the main thing is to be able to do what we know is good
basketball, taking care of the ball, doing a better job in transition, being
sharper executing the offensive game plan, being more aggressive in guarding
their half-court offense.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of W.gif]