Re: Trade Walker, Peter May Says Incorrectly

And it's only taken 2 days since Ainge took over to
start the "Trade Antoine" hysteria....

Well (let me be the first to say), fuck Peter May for
pulling this while the season is still in doubt (be
that doubt slim to none)....

I just hope, for the sake of these pompus asses that
are suggesting we trade Antoine, that this expolsion
of negativity will propel the team into coming
together, into attempting to make history.  Cause
that's where we are now....

As for Antoine not playing hard, or not fouling Kenyon
enough, it seems you haven't watched Walker at all for
the entirity of his career.  He's never been charged
with a flagarant foul and as far as I can remember
(and my Directv subsription coincided with Antoine's
rookie year) he has never ever been one to commit hard
fouls.  Thus, no, Antoine will not be taking out
Kenyon....though if I were Antoine, Kenyon, Jefferson,
and Kidd would be paying for their dunks and layups
with hard fouls every time....  Should Antione be
hammering Kenyon?  Yes.  But he doesn't play that
way....and in reality he really doesn't play hard all
the time either (as I alluded to in the past), which
is a reflection, I would argue, of his over-use.  From
time to time, I have heard him referring to resting on
the court, and without a doubt have witnessed such
occasions.  Thus, yes, Antione could be playing
harder, but I think he feels (and the coaching staff
as well) that occasionally resting on the court, and
playing all those minutes as defacto point guard and
power forward, is the smarter thing to do...

What this all boils down to is self-perception
deception.  The players are adept at a certain amount
of self-perception deception which serves to suggest
that they think they are better than they are...this
is necessary as it leads to self-confidence, which is
the most important non-physical aspect of basketball.
However, when this self-perceptive deception spills
over into the coaching, then we begin to have
problems...  And this is where the problems with
O'Brien surface, because from every spoken quote, it
appears that O'Brien is collaborating in the this
self-deception, which only makes things worse (in the
eyes of the objective fan, which we all assume
ourselves--in some manner or another--to be).  But
does O'Brien really believe all that crap he spouts
(he has been portrayed as the anti-Pitino, but in
reality, he watched Pitino and learned from
him--Pitino's only mistake being that he criticized
players publically--and is simply a very subtle and
manipulative spin artist)?  I honestly doubt it, since
a coach's worth is built on his ability to identify
REAL problems and then deal with them
accordingly...though I would hazard to guess that this
thin line between pumping oneself up and looking a
reality objectively is a line that O'Brien and the
players have yet to walk firmly....and this is where
the problem lies...

What to do?  First of all, let's not instigate a
regime change that is predisposed to dealing Antoine
(at least from the aged comments from Ainge) in the
middle of Antoine's worst playoff series and against a
team that just has our number--that was pure
stupidity, though not knowing the details it is
plausible that it was unavoidable.  Second, let's
engage in some healthy introspection.  Antoine,
himself, has to rediscover what type of player he
is....the last two years he has been trying to be
EVERYTHING and that has just left him burnt out and
less than he can be.  Ainge, himself, should look at
Antoine and see a player much like himself, impetuous,
fiesty, and emotional.  (It's hard to say why Ainge
was loved by the fans and Antoine hated--they both
have the same on-court personality.  Some may say it's
racially motivated--and I would agree to a
degree--while others would say that it is a reflection
of winning--which is another valid view point).
Furthermore, he should see what has happened the last
two years and look at the team chemistry that has
enfolded.  With Antoine and Paul, we have two great
pieces.  Continuity is important.  What this team
needs is more time, a new point guard and a
re-evaluation of what they are.  Ainge should look
into putting Antione at the three.  But, instead of
just suggesting it, he should go out and get a couple
4/5's...maybe one through the draft and one through
free agency (P.J. Brown...).  Tell Antione to work on
his running, stamina, quickness....he has worked
extremely hard over the last two summers and shouldn't
be adverse to doing so again this summer.  Tell him
that the current regime feels that he is doing too
much on the court and, in the interest of increasing
his longevity and potential on the court, they are
going to change how they use him.  Antoine can adapt.
These charges made by Kestas and Mark that Antoine
wants to cherry pick the easiest parts of small and
power forward are idiotic to say the least.  By saying
such things, it implies that Antoine is knowingly
sacrificing the team goals for his own...which,
stemming from the last two years, seems an impossible
statement to make.  If there is something going on
there, it is unconscious and the domain of the coach
to address.  Which brings me to O'Brien.  O'Brien, as
well, must adapt.  Ainge, I'm betting, will sit down
with O'Brien this summer and tell him that the offense
must get better.  And O'Brien, as he has already shown
to be capable of doing, will adapt.  O'Brien, if
anything, has shown the ability to self-preserve...if
by placating Antoine (which is the conjecture of
Kestas and Mark) or by other means.  Thus, if Ainge
tells him to change the offense, then he will.

And what is the upshot of all this?  Well, it points
to NOT trading Antoine, at least not over the summer.
First of all, Ainge will not trade Antoine when his
value is low.  And right now his value is low.  And it
ain't getting higher over the summer, especially if we
end up getting swept or, God-forbid, Antoine gets
suspended and we get swept.  Thus, Antoine shouldn't
be shopped, nor even discussed with other GM's.
Instead show confidence in him and tell him to prepare
for a slight change in usage for the upcoming season.
Tell him to prepare for small forward and pump him up
by telling him that the new offense that is being
prepared is going to maximize his talents and not rely
on him to make everything happen.  Next attempt to get
this new offense in place, starting with acquisition
of a point guard.  I don't know where from, but a
point guard can be had either through the draft or
free agency.  Regardless, we need to make a commitment
to being a running team next year....if the Indiana
series showed us anything, it's that we can run, if we
put our minds to it (which, as an aside, is what we
should have tried to do with Jersey as well).  The
only thing we lack is depth.  Antoine, contrary to
popular report, is a perfect fast breaking player and
is quite quick for his size.  If Kidd was on this
team, Antoine would be a layup making fool...

Anyways, this is getting long.  But as for how to win
game 4....start Kedrick and hope for the best.
Remember that Detroit didn't start to play well until
Tayshaun Prince was placed into the rotation in place
of Corliss Williamson....  And don't count out Antoine
(assuming he's not suspended).  When the world is down
on him, it only serves to motivate him...I'm just
hoping for one game where Antoine tells Martin to
shove it up his ass...

Ryan