Re: Timing - distraction but future hope?

Good post, Egg.

A couple of points...

On why the Celts would deny the Hawks permission to talk to Wallace and
Papile... The team has a lean personnel department. I'm guessing they'd feel
unprepared heading into the draft if the two guys who have done most of
their scouting were to leave just six weeks before the big day. Wallace has
been scouting Europe extensively, for example. The team needs that
information, and not just the notes from his scouting reports.

Let's hope the rumor on the mid-level exception is true. That could open up
some real possibilities. For example, if you could land a P.J. Brown for the
mid-level exception, that would give you the flexibility to concentrate on
point guard in exploring any Antoine trades. And if it were me, that's the
direction I'd take-fill the power forward spot with the mid-level, and try
to use Antoine to land an impact point guard. The mid-level point guard
types-guys like Travis Best-aren't the answer. David Aldridge, in his chat
yesterday, said if the Mavs get bounced, he wouldn't be shocked to see Cuban
shop Nash or Finley for frontcourt help. Nash would be a great catch. But an
impact point guard is the key; not just someone to fill the spot.

Based on your insights, and Tammo's comments about Ainge's remarks on her
local radio station, it sounds like Ainge definitely wants to change the
direction of the team. Thank goodness. It takes more than a series win over
inept Indiana to erase a season worth of nearly unwatchable basketball.

Great posts by a lot of people the last couple of days. A lot of interesting
thoughts.

Mark