Re: tayshaun prince

Obie gave Joe Johnson plenty of minutes, and Johnson played his way right
out of the rotation and right into Phoenix. As for Kedrick, what has he ever
done to deserve the minutes? And it's not like they didn't give him chances.
Obie gave him opportunities, and Kedrick didn't do anything with them.
Prince is getting his opportunity and seizing it. I don't think Obie minds
playing young players, as long as they produce. If the Celtics ever find one
of those, maybe Obie will play him.

Josh, I know you're down on Obie (and I am too when it comes to a lot of
things), but at some point the players have to assume responsibility. Joe
Johnson blew it here. He was handed a starting spot and couldn't hold it
because he lived up to his reputation as a drifter. Kedrick has been given
opportunities and never seized them. Vin Baker has only himself to blame for
his problems. These aren't Obie's mistakes. Blame Chris Wallace for bringing
these players to Boston, and blame the players for flopping, but it's hard
to blame Obie for their failures.

As for Prince, I never understood why he was so undervalued at draft time.
He's thin, but you're not asking the guy to play power forward. He's REALLY
long, and a matchup nightmare for smaller swingmen. He can handle the ball
well enough, has great range on his shot, knows how to score around the
basket, is left-handed and played a lot of basketball at the highest level
of college hoops. And yet he was completely discounted at draft time.

Mark

P.S. What is more unbelievable---that the Celtics denied the Hawks
permission to speak to Wallace and Papile, or that the Hawks asked in the
first place? My vote goes to the latter. But if they did ask, why in the
world would the Celts say no? If I'm Wyc, I'm packing their bags and fueling
up the team plane for them.

--- --- ---

Josh wrote:

Isn't it galling to see the Pistons -- already
primed for a huge upgrade with Memphis'
pick and their own -- getting such great
production out of a talented rookie?  Can
you imagine if Prince played for O'Brien?
What the $%@&# is so hard about giving
talented young players minutes?  I hope
Ainge reads Obie the riot act, just as Joe
Dumars had to twist Rick Carlisle's arm to
play Prince.   Coaches!