Re: Re: Walker, Minutes, Kedrick, Ainge, Spurs Backcourt

--- ryan nelson <ryanmn@mindspring.com> wrote:
> i've actually watched just about every minute
> kedrick has played and other than announcers telling
> me he has a reputation for playing great d, i have
> not seen it.  I saw ray allen easily drop 34 on him
> earlier in the year.  Here's my point, O'brien
> stresses defense, saying it is key to almost all of
> his decisions, if that is so why would he keep such
> a great defender on the bench?

exactly...O'Brien is two-faced on this account.

> talk about it all he wants but with my own eyes, I
> do not see anything special he does out there.  Can
> you give me an example of a time he has played
> defense above and beyond an average nba player other
> than just what you have heard?

The block on Tim Duncan wasn't too bad, was it?  I
doubt anybody of Kedrick's size has done that to
Duncan this year...

> games and he just is not that good when he is in
> there.  The arguement that utilizing him better by
> throwing alley-oops is the key to success, is almost
> comical.  Great, let's throw him an alley oop per
> game and get two points out of him, that will help
> us alot.

No, actually Jefferson (and Martin) gets his
alley-opps off misdirection....it's not because he's a
great shooter that gets him alley-opps, it's because
the rest of the team defense is otherwise engaged.

> jefferson because he can get b!
>  y his men because they actually have to guard him
> on the outside.  Kedrick's man is usually standing
> under the basket.  I want kedrick to succeed as much
> as all of you but he has shown zero ability in his
> time on the court.  Like I said before, JR Bremer
> seized his opportunity and kedrick never has.  I am
> more than happy to watch some specific examples of
> this great defensive play if you can provide the
> game film and analysis.
>
> ryan

Listen Ryan, I'm not going to go back and personally
show you every instance when Kedrick played fine
defense.  I too have seen every game and obviously we
have different opinions on what constitutes good
defense....

That said, prove to me, thru game film and analysis,
that Kedrick CAN'T playy defense :)  In actuality, the
sample size is too small to make a real case either
way....though if he were to get 35 minutes a game next
year, my viewpoint would prevail.

Ryan