Could Ainge trade Walker?

I agree with another poster that "blowing up a team" -- at least a team with some a star like Pierce -- makes little sense and almost never works.

I'm really, really split on trading Walker (realizing this of course is all speculative). On the one hand I think he and Pierce have a special bond and Walker is the heart of the team. For that reason alone I hesitate even discussing moving him. On the other hand, I feel like Walker might be the only way of improving the team (in the short term since you hope we'd be able to build through the draft w/ Ainge on board). I think the C's need to go all out to win during the Pierce years -- he's that type of player that has the talent to win a championship with the right players around him.

But lets assume for a minute that (a) Ainge does become GM or President and that (b) he decides to trade Walker. What could we realistically get for him? I'm not talking Walker for Iverson or Walker for McGrady. Here are some thoughts (all work via RealGM):

Walker & Delk for Dale Davis & Derek Anderson -- O'Brien knows DA from Kentucky and DA is not afraid to shoot the 3 (35% on 330 shots). Davis gives us some muscle alongside Battie. For Portland it gives them a ridiculous starting 5 of Pippen/Wells (moves over from 3)/Walker/Randolph/Wallace (moves to 5). Davis isn't getting any younger. Longshot but I think I'd do it.

Walker for Dale Davis & Bonzi Wells -- Wells is still BYC, but I think that ends some point this summer. I think Portland is less likely to let Wells go, but still intriguing. Both of these are less likely to happen now that Whitsett's gone I think.

Walker for Sam Cassell/Toni Kukoc -- the beauty of this is (a) Cassell's contract expires with Vin Baker, Battie, Delk and Kedrick making us major players in 3 years (b) Kukoc expires with Eric Williams giving us some room next year and (c) both are players that would fit into our system and Cassell fits that need for a point. Milwaukee arguably gets the better player. It allows them to move Tim Thomas for another point maybe? Or draft TJ Ford/Kirk Hinrich

Walker for Antonio Davis -- Davis alongside Battie is a nice thought and his contract expires with that Baker/Battie/Delk/Brown group. Toronto again gets the better talent, of course why would they do this if they end up with Carmelo Anthony. Although Walker allows them to bring him along slowly.

Walker/Sundov for Kwame Brown/Larry Hughes/Christian Laettner -- A gamble and less likely to happen now that Jordan is gone (b/c I imagine Brown becomes the focal point of the Wizards) but doens't it seem like Brown is where Jermaine O'Neal was when Pitino tried to get him for the 3 picks? Wizards can then build around Walker and Stackhouse (if they resign him).

Wallace/Battie for Rasheed Wallace -- I don't know that either team would do this or that it necessarily benefits either team, but Wallce becomes a free agent after this season so if it doesn't work he could also fetch some talent at the trade deadline. Leaves us really thin up front but maybe we could go:

Bremer
Pierce
E. Williams
Wallace
Blount

Walker for PJ Brown (sign & trade)/David Wesley*/Kirk Haston*/Bryce Drew --2 starters for 1 -- fills 2 needs for us PF and PG. I think Wesley would be the type of PG to fit in OBrien's ssytem. His contract expires with the Baker/Battie/Delk/Brown group too. PJ gives us a legit starting PF and a lineup of:

Wesley
Pierce
E. Williams
Brown
Battie

Walker/Baker for Sprewell/McDyess -- Essentially Walker for Sprewell minus 2 years of non-PF play. Maybe NY is so desperate for talent they take the extra 2 years on Bakers contract for McDyess'. Gives us some cap room next year with McDyess' and Williams' contracts coming off.

Call me a geek, but I love speculating on trades and FA singings and drafts.

Mark