Off topic- Nature's fury

  I've had a number of people E-mail me asking if I was affected by the spat
of Midwest tornadoes yesterday.
I'm just fine.
We had four different tornadoes in our area, all within an hour of each
other.  One to the south of us, two to the North, and one to the East.  Three
of the four touched down and did major damage, but luckily only one death and
only about 50 persons with injuries, all non life threatening.
We sort of tend to take the tornado sirens for granted around here.  Every
spring we have tornado warnings (actual sightings) or tornado watches
(conditions favorable for tornadoes) but they always seem to skip over us or
never touch ground at all.  This is the first time since 1957 that the Kansas
City area has had a major touchdown.  To have three such touchdowns in one
day is just mind boggling.
We had plenty of warning.  The warning systems we have in place around here
are unparalleled and no doubt saved many lives.  I don't think we will be
taking the sirens for granted again any time soon.
 While we were not in any danger where I live, my husband was at his usual
Sunday hang out...the horse track...which was right in the middle of the
storm.  One of the tornadoes went directly between the horse track and the
dog track, which are separated by only a parking lot, as patrons huddled in
bathrooms for safety.
Unlike myself, he is a life long resident of the area and he said this
experience is something he is not likely to ever forget.

The biggest inconvenience I suffered was not being able to see the second
half of the Dallas-Portland game since the local stations broke away for
storm coverage, which is also being credited for saving many lives.
Nature has a way of helping us regain perspective.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/news/

Thanks to all those who have shown concern.
Go Celtics!

TAM