Wallace?

Hi,

> It has nothing to do with the opinion of Boston sportswriters. They,
> especially the major dailies, have barely questioned any moves by the front
>
> office, including the draft picks. I believe people on this list are going
> by what they've seen from Kedrick, which isn't very much. I know I do. I
> really wish what you're saying about Kedrick were true, but I don't quite
> see it.

That's right..you don't get to see very much of him. The players get to see
alot more..
thats why I trust them.

> >Actually I don't blame you 100% I thought the same thing of McCarty for
> >years..
> >A great athlete who can't "play". But it turns out he can play...pretty
> well
> >in fact.
> >Tommy was right.
>
> Yes, but he *couldn't* play! His emergence is completely out of the blue,
> and only came when he was danger of not having a job in the NBA. Is that
> what it's gonna take for Kedrick? And we got McCarty for a pair of socks.
> He's making less money than Kedrick right now.

Not true..
See this is what people don't see about the NBA. Its the system.....the coach
does matter. Any player needs to be put in the best place to really shine.

McCarty's game, though limited, is good for the O'Brien system. So it seems
as if he could play here. He didn't all the sudden learn how to play
basketball...that kind of thing just doesn't happen. He just started working
on hitting his spot up three with more regularity.

If Kedrick was on Jersey he would be contributing alot more..that motion/
fast breaking system that they run would hugely benefit his game and minimize
his weaknesses. The penetrate/double and dish to spot up shooter system of
the Celtics hurts his game.

NBA players are always clamoring for more PT, to ditch their coaches and
bickering among themselves for precisely this reason. Most of the guys on
most of the rosters can contribute BUT they need the coach to run the game
THEIR WAY to really shine. Is Delk really that much better then Tinsley? He
sure seemed it in the last series. No.. OB put Delk in a postion that
emphasized his strengths...

Do you think Walter would thrive if he was asked to stay down on the blocks?

> >Its common in the NBA for young players to develop in a few years.
> >
> >You don't have to look far to see examples of players written off doing
> well.
> >  El Busto  is now a valued member of our team. He turns a so so defensive
> >team into a seriously underrated defensive force. Outside of your star
> >players the league is actually chock full of players who were pretty
> mediocre
> >at first and then later blossomed.
>
> Battie's problem early on was that he didn't bring it in every game.
> Kedrick doesn't bring it in ANY game, except for one or two - in two years.

Well if "bringing it" means hoisting up alot of shots..then sure.
But he certainly has played effective defense which constitutes alot of
effort on his part, and is like the second or third best rebounder on the
team per 48 minutes.

Its very possible that Kedrick might be a bust..
But point is you can't tell for a few years...at least.

> Let's hope he does, and is still with the Celtics if he does. But let me
> get this straight - now we're hoping that Kedrick develops into.... a Bruce
>
> Bowen? When we could've had Jefferson, Parker, Randoph and scores of others
>
> , some of whom are already becoming NBA stars in their second season, and
> all of whom are contributing a helluva lot more than Kedrick?

Well at this point I am not sure Superstar is in his future..
But Stacey Augmon/Desmond Mason/Ruben Patterson potential is certainly
there..

> >It's easy to second guess Wallace..but when you see an athlete like
> Kedrick
> >with some basketball skills its hard to fault his decision to take him. I
> >would have done the same thing. Thats why I defend him.
>
> Fine, but not with the 11th pick! He thought he was so clever, he was the
> second coming of Jerry West with his Kobe pick/trade. Except Kobe had a
> competitve drive nearly matching that of Jordan, he was bright, he'd seen
> the world because of his dad, and West most likely knew it, and that's why
> he got him. Kobe wasn't some kid who'd never been outside of Lousiana and
> couldn't make a college program despite his astounding athleticism. What
> did Wallace know about Kedrick, except his vertical? You need a little more
>
> than athleticism to make it in the NBA - you need a desire to succeed and
> beat out hundreds of others already in the NBA, and tens of thousands
> clamoring to get in.

Well Kedrick has desire.. by all accounts he is a hard worker..
I am not sure how 'intelligent" he is because I have never heard him speak,
but I don't assume he is a total moron because he is from Zachary, La. I
don't think high intelligence is really a prerequisite for NBA success. As
long as your smart enough to keep yourself out of trouble, play basketball,
and understand the plays you should be fine.

He was picked higher then other players because he was more athletic then
other players. He was in my estimation the most athletic player in the
draft..

> Upside is nice, but you actually have to start delivering on that upside
> some time.   Murphy is averaging a double-double *right now* and shooting
> 45% for a pretty decent team loaded with big men. Need I point out what
> Kedrick's numbers are?

Well I put a high premium on upside..

The Celts need another star..the minimum guys they pick up like McCarty and
Bremer aren't much worse then the mid level guys like Parker and Murphy. Sure
they aren't as good..but the gap is small. The "superstar" payoff is HUGE.
Its not just because of ability..but the refs greatly enhance the gap in the
NBA. Thats why the Celts can beat "deep" team like Pacers. Its all about the
stars..

Look at the Pats..why did they pick Bethel? The guy barely caught anything in
college...The picked him because of upside 4.3 40 speed. Its the same deal
here.

Kedrick was gamble..
It may turn out that he was a gamble that failed..but I would take that
gamble again and again till you hit the jackpot. Wallace is obviously a
gambler..and he pushed things too far with his Baker gamble. He will be out
of a job because of that.

Kedrick though..he is said to be Wyc's favorite player...

> >We have two picks this year..
> >I suspect Wallace will do the same kind of thing. He will pick some safe
> fan
> >favorite college star point guard like Hinrich, and take a flyer on some
> >unknown foreign kid/junior college guy/High Schooler with some upside...
>
> If the owners are so stupid as to allow Wallace to screw up another draft
> for them, they deserve it.
> Kestas

Well I think he is gone..but that wouldn't necessarily be a screw up...
We need a point and star. Another GM will likely do about the same thing.

My point is if some GM happens to pick some guy who does blossom to stardom
that doesn't make him a genius. Luck is big part of it. If everyone knew that
Jefferson, Parker, Randolph etc was going to be so good they would have
picked them higher, obviously.

Like I said Wallace is an okay talent scount. He does pick up some guys that
people pass over, and he will eventually be rewarded in the draft. The more
drafts that he picks the better his chances. Rod Thorn made the right move
with Jefferson but a horrible move with regards to Mutumbo (sp?)...

I don't know any GM who consistently gets it right every time. Even the much
ballyhooed Jerry West has been absolutely screwed over twice.. First with
Battie, and now with the Mike Miller.

Pete