Trade Antoine ??

Great Debate question.

I remember for a few years trading Antoine was something the Celts seriously considered under Pitino, but his max contract and base year issues made it impossible to get equal value (talent and money wise) for him. Last year that equation changed, but at the same time the team made great strides and made the conf. finals (who could have dreamed such a thing at the beginning of last year) and of course Antoine was a major reason that happening. Since then it is recognized Antoine is key 1B (Pierce 1A) to any hopes the Celts have as currently constructed, so much so this is the first serious flurry of Antoine trade talk that I have seen on the list since before last year.

My opinion of Antoine are mixed, Like Tommy loves Waltah, I have come to love/appreciate Walker. I love the whole package, his game intensity, versatility, leadership and multitude of skills. He has a serious case of Basketball Jones. He is a great teammate from what I read, He sticks up for players who are down (Baker, Brown) and generally a kind of guy who would make a great number 3 or in a pinch 2 option on a championship team. The negatives he brings are well screeched here and elsewhere: Becoming too much of a perimeter player (though a major effort of late to work inside), too many 3's, and a knack of thowing up some stupid shoots at some impractical times, his chatter at opposing players...  But I think the NBA world views Antoine more positively after last year to date than earlier in his career when our team was semi-trying to move him.

Dispite my love for Walker I have also become convinced we will not go any higher into the playoffs than certainly last years run with the team as currently constructed. The only way the Celts go higher with Antoine and Pierce is to add another All-star caliber/impact player to the mix. Farting around the edges with NBA fodder will not get it done nor looking to get lucky drafting at the #12 to 21spots in the draft with our management doing the grocery shopping, or do I see us able to go the FA path to get that type of player because of our teams financial constraints; we could hope for a Cuban type spending binge but I have seen nothing of this teams new ownership that is sending signals that we'll be players for any impact FAs comming out in the next year or two.

This brings us to the question should we consider trading Walker? In my mind he, and of course Pierce, are the only capable players we can trade to change this teams dynamic into making us a contenda, or backtrack us out of a playoff caliber team, thus the danger of such thoughts. If we were to try to trade Antoine I believe his value will not get any higher than now. Plus we have some inducements that could facilitate a blockbuster type of trade to field a more complimentory team around Pierce (2 #1s, Bremmer, Battie, even a throwin of Brown or next years #1). Ahh if only the Hated but respected G. West were calling the shots at this juncture.....  I hate playing trade scenarios, but Chicago, the Clips and some other poorly constructed but talented teams with a probabal high draft choice could provide some intriging possibilties. Will it happen?  probally not, nor do I want THIS management to even attempt such a thing, but it is more interesting than the images of last nites game dancing in my head.

PS:  Count me as one who aggrees with the notion if Walker were to get a fraction of calls that he deserves when hacked to bits going to the hoop we would see a different selection of shots from walker, His need to shoot floaters and hooks up before he or the defense is set, or to take more infamous 3's come to mind. Of course he is not blameless, and there is no way I could keep order on a NBA court, but still its a shame that refs can consiously or unconsiously have such a impact on on a players fortune (and the teams) or impact how a player approaches the game itself.

Chow for now - Reggie