Bulpett - Bobbleheads, Benchee, Bean Counters, and Baker

Does anyone here think that Bobblehead Red looks more like
Montgomery Clift in  "From Here to Eternity "  than W. C. Fields
in  "My little Chickadee? "

Also:

In reference to Roger's broken heart-
"We (the Celts) had some real good camaraderie. I've just got to get
back to how I was playing when I was with them. " - Rogers

In reference to the new owners -
  "They put up all those millions of dollars, they've got to make
some moves. They can't get involved in trading players, so... "  - Red

In reference to Baker releasing his agent -
 "Even if Baker severing ties with Goodwin indicates the backup
center doesn't want to fight the Celts on his suspension without
pay ... "  - Bulpett

------------------------------
Benched Rogers pines for old days

Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Friday, March 14, 2003

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - A rough season for Rodney Rogers got even
more difficult before last night's game when Nets coach Byron Scott
announced that Brian Scalabrine had supplanted him as the first
forward off the New Jersey bench.

Neither was a factor in Jersey's 90-75 win over the Celts. Scalabrine
went 0-for-8 from the floor, while Rogers didn't take a shot in three
minutes.  Rogers has struggled here since leaving the Celtics as a free
agent last summer. He went into last night's game shooting 39.5 percent
from the floor (29.8 percent on treys) and averaging 6.9 points - all
career lows.
The Celts wanted to keep Rogers, who was a good fit with the club, but
offered just the $1 million veteran minimum. Rogers came to the Nets
for a portion of their mid-level exception, getting a deal that began at
$2.79 million. He turned down a starting offer of $4 million from
Minnesota.  Last night Rogers looked at the Celtics and remembered the
good old days of last spring.
``That feeling is still there when I see them,'' he said. ``We had some real
good camaraderie. I've just got to get back to how I was playing when
I was with them. I've just got to knock the shots down. When I get in,
I've just got to make the shots. And they're ones I normally make, which
makes this kind of frustrating. You try not to get to the point where it
tears you down.''

Baker axes agent
Vin Baker has parted ways with his agent, Aaron Goodwin, sources said
yesterday.  It is not known what effect this will have on Baker's situation
with the Celtics. Goodwin had stated his displeasure with the club, while
Baker had signed an agreement with the club that was allegedly so
disadvantageous to him that Goodwin and the Players Association vowed
to fight it. Goodwin did not participate in the Feb. 27 meeting when Baker
agreed to get help for emotional and alcohol-related problems.
Recently, Baker and the Celts were trying to rework the pact to avoid a
Players Association challenge.  Even if Baker severing ties with Goodwin
indicates the backup center doesn't want to fight the Celts on his
suspension without pay (he does have a chance to get money back if he
follows an aftercare program), the Players Association will continue to
take up the cause because of the bad precedent the agreement sets for
other players.

Red: Head's up
After Wednesday bobblehead doll night in his honor, Celtic president and
patriarch Red Auerbach checked in with an optimistic take on his club.
``They're for real,'' said Red. ``I like the way it's all been coming
together.
The new people have helped. I like (Mark) Blount. He's a good addition.
(Bimbo) Coles may help a bit. But when you bring a guy like that who
helps a little bit, the others play a little better, too. I mean, that's
where it's at. You've still got a team beyond (Paul) Pierce and (Antoine)
Walker. They're still your keys, but you have to have other people
playing well.''
Auerbach said he got a kick out of being immortalized in bobblehead
history.  As for whether the figure realy looks like him, he said,
``Metza-metza.''
Interestingly, Auerbach also spoke about the Celtics' recent firing of
vice president of sales Steve Riley, who was second to Red in seniority
with the organization.  Riley, a Celtic employee since 1975, was let
go with three others by the club's new ownership group. ``Hey, I tried
my best, but they made up their mind,'' said Auerbach. ``What am I going
to do? They put up all those millions of dollars, they've got to make
some moves. They can't get involved in trading players, so . . .''