Chad Ford Presents A Non Favorable Response To The Celtics

Q: Your reluctance to discuss the Celtics is appalling. They are not a
great team, but they are a good team that has as good a chance as any to
win the East if they get hot in the playoffs. They are nine games over
.500 and a half-game out of home-court advantage in the first round.
Please, at least acknowledge their existence.
-- Chris O'Byrne, Boston

FORD: What is there to say about them right now? The Vin Baker thing has
been a fiasco (nothing new there). I think they made a major mistake
trading Kenny Anderson away for him (again nothing new). J.R. Bremer has
been a nice revelation at the point (though he's not really a point
guard). Paul Pierce and Antoine Walker continue to do all of the heavy
lifting.

Here's why I'm not sold on the Celtics: They have no real frontcourt
presence. The have zero depth. Tony Delk and Walter McCarty are their
only real options off the bench. The one young player they're
developing, Kedrick Brown, has been a major disappointment. When they
hit their 3s (like they did last night against the Hornets) they can
beat anybody. When they don't, they'll lose by 20. This team probably
will be in the playoffs and will make anyone nervous as long as Pierce
and Walker are on the floor. But I think they missed their window of
opportunity last season.

(My Comment: If they handle the upcoming draft right, they can change
things around....)