D.J. takes Clippers' reins

by Mark Murphy
Tuesday, March 4, 2003

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Like the majority of Dennis Johnson's former Celtics
teammates, Cedric Maxwell couldn't have been happier with the news that
Johnson was named to replace Alvin Gentry as coach of the Los Angeles Clippers
yesterday.

      Somebody's Got To Say It
      Covering Beacon Hill to Capitol Hill, the Herald's tradition of fearless
news coverage consistently gives readers the story behind the story.
      Subscribe Online Now

``Obviously it's a good opportunity for him, though also a difficult
opportunity when you think about the ownership situation he's going to have,''
Maxwell said last night of the ever-challenging presence of Clippers owner
Donald Sterling.

``But you have to take those positions while you can,'' Maxwell said. ``I'm
just really surprised that he didn't get an opportunity earlier.''

This, however, should not be confused with Maxwell's take on D.J.'s ambitions
while he was still a player. They played together on the Celtics' 1984 NBA
championship team and Maxwell never would have taken Johnson for future
coaching material.

``He just wasn't the type of person I ever would have thought about as a
coach,'' Maxwell said. ``If you went through a year with D.J., you wouldn't
have thought so, either. The reason is that he wasn't a conformist. He did not
want to conform to anybody and, if the truth be told, when he first joined the
Celtics, he had a little bit of that attitude about him.

``But when he came to the Celtics, it was the first time he was on a team that
made him conform to what the others were doing. I think it was the experience
of coming here that put (coaching) in his head.''

That said, Maxwell can envision a solid coaching career for Johnson, who
helped the Celtics win two NBA titles (1984, '86).

``His basketball mind is good and he's a good strategist,'' Maxwell said.
``He's very good at getting along with players. But the thing with D.J. is
that as an assistant, he was a great confidante with the players. That will
have to change now that he's the boss.''

Celtics coach Jim O'Brien, though happy for Johnson, expressed a bit of
sadness at the firing of Gentry.

``You always feel badly when one of your fellow head coaches is removed,''
O'Brien said. ``But Dennis certainly deserves a place in this league.''

The Clippers are last in the Pacific Division.

``This is totally awkward for me,'' said Johnson, who noted that he was kept
on the staff by Gentry, who replaced Jim Todd. ``It's not going to be easy.''

Said team vice president Elgin Baylor: ``These decisions are never easy and
this one is especially tough because Alvin and I had a very good working
relationship. But I reached the conclusion Sunday night that the players
simply were not responding, and I believe a change is necessary at this
time.''

Johnson, 48, also won an NBA title with Seattle (1979). This was his fourth
season as a Clippers assistant.

Gentry had a record of 89-133 since becoming coach before the 2000-01 season.
Prior to that, he was 73-72 as coach of the Detroit Pistons. He also coached
the Miami Heat, in between 10 seasons as an assistant with three NBA teams.
Gentry, 48, was the Clippers' fourth coach in six seasons. The team last made
the playoffs in the 1996-97 season.

Previously, Johnson was an assistant with the Celtics (1993-97).

Herald wire services contributed to this report.

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of pick_upBH.gif]