Re: Vecsey Blasts Co-Conspirator O'Brien

YEAH, YEAH, YEAH. Nail that little weasal O'Brien. Perfectly stated. Vescey
properly points out how O'brien met with Baker twice before the trade and how
the Cs had recognized after the ECFs that they needed inside scoring. Finally
the national media has the story right. Why hasn't the Boston media stated
so?.....Now we find that Vin had been drinking and had meeting with Celtic
brass since October. Where was the Boston media on this before? What happened
to investigative reporting? No one does that anymore. They just regurgitate
each other's specualation and rely on the nonmedia to dig things out...

By the way, O'Brien has decided that we don't need inside scoring and has
chosen to with last year's strategy (defense and threes). As a Celtic fan, I
hope it works but PP is going to have to get hot at the right time or we have
no chance...

DJessen33

<< http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/55362.htm

 How dreadfully disappointing to see what a poor team player Jim O'Brien
 has turned out to be.

 Was the acquisition of Gin, er, Vin Baker appalling? Indisputably! We
 branded it the NBA's worst off-season trade first day back from summer
 vacation . . . unlike Boston's media that only began to ask tough
 questions months later and now suddenly are wondering why Paul Westphal
 and Chris Ford were never consulted.

 I've also got a question; what took you bozos so long? Moreover, why not
 ask Ford, who coached Baker in Milwaukee? Vin averaged 19.2 points in
 his first year in helping the Sonics win the Pacific Division title and
 making the All-Star team under George Karl.

 Petty details aside, considering the $56 million, four-year obligation
 they were incurring, shouldn't the Celtics have delved more deeply into
 Baker's well-known emotional instability and alleged substance
 dependency? Hey, who says they didn't know the risks they were taking?

 Keep in mind, GM Chris Wallace was prohibited by then owner Paul Gaston
 from re-signing Rodney Rogers for more than the $1.3M veteran minimum;
 the Nets inked him to $9.2M, 3-year deal. At the same time, having lost
 to the Nets in the East final, O'Brien was desperate for an inside
 offensive presence, as well as someone tougher at the point than Kenny
 Anderson to compete with Jason Kidd.

 As a result, O'Brien, after at least two interviews with Baker, signed
 off the trade for the overweight, overwrought fragile forward and
 Shammond Williams for Anderson, unused rookie Joe Forte (a Red
 Auerbach-imposed selection, whereas Wallace wanted to draft Tony
 Parker!!!) and retread Vitaly Potapenko . . . owed a conveniently
 overlooked (by everyone but the Sonics) $22M over three.

 For whatever reason - bad publicity, negative feedback from
 father-in-law Jack Ramsay and top assistant Dick Harter, or simply
 seeing for himself how much Baker's skills had eroded though his health
 habits and condition sure seemed to improve - O'Brien has distanced
 himself from being a co-conspirator (leaving Wallace out there to fry by
 his lonesome) in the trade ever since.

 Is it any wonder Baker has reverted to booze when his own coach has
 given him so little love? In which Hindu life does O'Brien plan to help
 him? >>