Re: [Celtics' Stuff The limiting magic number 13

At 09:21 AM 6/29/2003 -0400, Celtic4Hire@xxxxxxx wrote:
I kind of thought we would have room to sign a Kenny Anderson type point
guard, a veteran scorer (all at minimum contracts) and a prospect (not considering
Hunter). We are already there at the magic number 13 unless they cut Sundov
assuming they resign McCarty and Blount.

Not quite and I wouldn't assume that anyway. May's math assumes they pick up the option on JR as part of the 11. If they genuinely thought they could get a decent veteran FA PG I don't know if they would. And I like JR, and actually think his development will benefit from playing against someone like Banks' in practice. While of the other two, I think Walter especially is gone. They were saying that on the WWZN draft broadcast and I agree with them - Walter had a good enough year that someone will offer him more than the minimum, which is all the Cs are likely to offer. IMO he's also the sort of player you have to consider letting go if you're committed to upgrading - yes, he DID play better last season, but that was more a matter of better directed energy than actually developing his game. He's been in the league several years but still plays mostly on boundless energy and athleticism vs basketball IQ and shows no sign of developing any kind of inside game to take advantage of his size and quickness on offense, even when the 3 doesn't fall. And I think a lot of positive thoughts people have about him on the court confuse his being a fairly versatile 6th man on a team with a very weak bench vs his being true 6th man material.

What Peter May (HAS anyone ever seen him and Ray in the same room?) ignores in his analysis of the Songalia move is the totally different situations. Sacramento is a very talented, set roster, just looking to fill the last few bench spots and had no first round draft picks who might have more to offer in filling them. The Cs simply have a lot more and more serious needs to fill that Darius wasn't likely to be enough of an upgrade in filling and -probably most importantly- he didn't want to stay over in Europe until they could afford the roster space to take him in.

Kim