Peter May - on Banks, Diaw, and the boys from Buducnost

< More than a few general managers around the league are convinced the
Celtics have made some sort of promise to UNLV's Marcus Banks to select
the 6-2 guard at either 16 or 20. The other pick could be for one of the
Buducnost boys. But who really knows?  ''There's a lot of misinformation
coming out of Boston,'' one general manager quipped via e-mail. No more
than anywhere else, however. ''I've been reading that we have a deal with
Banks, too,'' said Celtics hoop boss Danny Ainge. ''I just love the fact that
other people are so concerned with what we're doing.'' > - May

< Boris Diaw is a guy I'm planning on going to watch.'> - Ainge

-----------------
These three happy they're pointed to NBA

By Peter May, Globe Staff, 6/22/2003

We'll call them the Boys from Buducnost. There are three of them in this
year's NBA draft. Two of them could go in the first round, and one of them
could come to Boston. All of them will be happy to leave their current
situation. The three are 6-foot-11-inch forward Zarko Cabarkapa; 6-7
forward Aleksandar Pavlovic; and 7-4 center Slavko Vranes. Their team,
Buducnost, in the former Yugoslav republic of Montenegro, is, to be blunt,
a mess. You won't hear any of these three saying they hope they can stay
where they are to hone their skills for another year.

''It was bad. Real bad. It's a tough situation, a tough team,'' said agent
Marc
Cornstein, who represents Vranes and Pavlovic. ''They had a crazy coach.
They didn't get paid. Here you have a team with three potential first-round
picks in the NBA and they didn't do well at all. That should tell you
something.''

Buducnost was 16-6 in the Yugoslavian league, but in the Euroleague,
where the competition is much tougher, it was 2-12. Cornstein said his
two clients went without pay for several months, but they had no leverage.
The team did pay for the apartment in which they lived.

''It's a corrupt and poorly run organization,'' Cornstein said. ''And I'm
being
diplomatic.''

Agent Bill Duffy represents Cabarkapa, who was a bench-warmer on the
Yugoslavian world championship team last fall. He said he had settled
''the pay issue'' with the team, but agreed with Cornstein that the
situation is difficult for the players.

''I would say it was extremely volatile, very unstable,'' Duffy said.

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace saw the team play this past spring
and called the situation ''chaotic for the whole team.'' He said it was easy
to tell how dispirited the players were amid coaching changes and a
string of losses.

The team's cash shortage should alleviate one potential headache: agreeing
to a buyout, should one be necessary. However, Cornstein said any buyout
clauses should be disregarded because the team breached its contract by
not paying the players. That very issue is now being discussed regarding
Pavlovic's deal, although, Cornstein added, ''It's unfortunate in that we're
not always dealing with rational people.'' The most an over-the-cap NBA
team can pay in a buyout situation like this is $350,000.

''You could see how three times that amount would appeal to them,''
said Cornstein, referring to Buducnost.

As for the players themselves, the Celtics worked out Pavlovic and liked
what they saw, although he didn't always start for Buducnost. They have
been unable to get Cabarkapa in; he worked out for Phoenix and then
returned home because, according to Duffy, his mother was ill. There were
more than a few raised eyebrows about that one; cynics suspected the
Suns had cut a deal for him. But late last week, it was learned Cabarkapa
was planning to return to the United States for predraft workouts with
Milwaukee and New York.

Vranes is more of a project; he saw limited action this season. In the
game Wallace saw, Vranes played 93 seconds. He probably will go in the
second round. Pavlovic and Cabarkapa appear to be NBA-ready.

In some cases, teams will draft foreign players and encourage them to
stay overseas. That way, the salary of the player does not count against
the team's cap, although the team maintains his rights. Given what the
Buducnost boys have been through, if they do have to go back across the
pond, you can only hope for their sake that it's somewhere other than
where they were.

Money in Banks? More than a few general managers around the league are
convinced the Celtics have made some sort of promise to UNLV's Marcus
Banks to select the 6-2 guard at either 16 or 20. The other pick could be
for one of the Buducnost boys. But who really knows? ''There's a lot of
misinformation coming out of Boston,'' one general manager quipped
via e-mail. No more than anywhere else, however. ''I've been reading that
we have a deal with Banks, too,'' said Celtics hoop boss Danny Ainge.
''I just love the fact that other people are so concerned with what we're
doing.'' Veteran agent Michael Higgins, who also happens to represent
Celtics forwards Antoine Walker and Walter McCarty, represents Banks.
Higgins, normally a chatty sort, did not respond to two days of phone
messages concerning Banks. There also was talk back at the predraft
camp in Chicago that the Celtics had zeroed in on Banks and, adding to
the drama, Banks ''came down with an injury'' at the time at least one
team -- Utah -- was hoping to have him in for a workout. Ainge
downplayed his geographical advantage (before coming to Boston, he
lived outside Phoenix, and his son is at BYU, which, like UNLV, is in
the Mountain West Conference). ''I would think Danny would have a better
handle on our conference than a lot of people,'' said UNLV coach Charlie
Spoonhour. ''I think what might have hurt Marcus is that a lot of our
games start when people back East are going to bed.'' We'll see. The
Sonics also are looking at Banks; they draft 12th and 14th and need a
point guard. There's also a possibility that Oregon's Luke Ridnour will
slide, possibly to where the Celtics will be picking. A week ago, that
seemed inconceivable. But that's the way these things go. Remember,
Vitaly Potapenko and Todd Fuller went ahead of Kobe Bryant in 1996 . . .
There were a couple of major stunners Thursday with the release of
the list of players who withdrew from the draft. Usually, players do this
 because they've been made aware that they either won't get picked very
high or won't get selected at all. But how do we explain the decision of
the so-called Siberian Sensation, 7-5 Pavel Podkolzine? Two weeks ago,
he supposedly had this eye-popping workout (we touched on the ''rigors''
of that workout last Sunday) that had anonymous general managers
drooling and comparing him to Shaquille O'Neal and Yao Ming. Orlando's
Doc Rivers said he'd take Podkolzine at 15 but didn't expect him to last
that long. It's hard to recall when a likely lottery pick withdrew his name
from the draft, even one like Podkolzine, who did not have a lengthy
playing resume. But everything seemed to slide for Podkolzine when it
was reported that he had a thyroid/pituitary condition (alas, memories
of Gheorghe Muresan). If he can get that under control, he could be back
next year as one of the top picks. Another somewhat surprising withdrawal
was that of Russian Viktor Khryapa, whom the Celtics worked out in New
Jersey during the NBA Finals. ''There were a number of teams that were
interested in him who wanted him to play right away,'' said Khryapa's
agent, Marc Fleisher. ''And he didn't have an out. So the whole thing was
up in the air. A couple of teams that would have taken him were not his
favorites. He got over here late because of visa issues and he didn't have
many workouts. But this could be the best thing for him because I think
he could be a lottery pick next year.'' Khryapa turns 21 in August. Ainge
said, ''I think he made a good move,'' adding that he did not see the 6-9
Russian as a first-rounder. Another Fleisher client, Misan Nikagbatse,
also withdrew, but he did so because of an injury that prevented him
from working out. We first came across Nikagbatse at the World
Championships last summer, when he played for Germany. He's a bull-like
6-5 guard who is learning to play the point in Europe. He could be a real
gem next year.

Pass to Athens Both Vlade Divac and Vladimir Radmanovic are said to
be skipping this summer's European championships in Sweden. By virtue
of winning the Worlds last fall, Yugoslavia already has qualified for the
2004 Athens Olympics, so not having Divac or Radmanovic wouldn't be
disastrous. Plus, it would give the coach a chance to look at some of
the new Yugos coming through the system like Cabarkapa and Pavlovic.
Radmanovic, you may recall, got into it with his coach at the Worlds
and rarely played. In the championship game against Argentina, he sat
in the stands, adjacent to the media section, still wearing his warmups
and uniform . . . As for the US replacing Kobe (shoulder surgery) on its
team this summer, don't look for a stud to be named. The US team as
constituted, with Tim Duncan leading the way, has more than enough
firepower to get through the August qualifying tournament in Puerto
Rico, where the top three teams will qualify for Athens. Kobe then
would be healthy to play in the Olympics in 2004 . . . The Warriors made
a recent trip to France to scout Mickael Pietrus, the French (Pau Orthez)
shooting guard who is now seen as a legitimate top 10 pick. Golden
State picks 11th, and many feel the Warriors will take a point guard to
protect themselves against the loss of Gilbert Arenas in free agency.
But there also is talk that the Warriors-Arenas relationship is on the
upswing, which may mean the team looks elsewhere in the draft. Still,
a point guard at that spot makes the most sense, given that the Warriors
are fairly set at the other four positions . . . Ainge may take a last-minute
trip to France this week to scout Boris Diaw-Riffiod, who also plays for
Pau Orthez. The trip also would allow Ainge an opportunity to see Pietrus.
Ainge planned to visit Europe last week, but postponed his trip because of
scheduling difficulties. ''There's still a chance I might go to Europe to
watch Boris Diaw play this week,'' said Ainge. ''You get all planned and
ready to go and then the team wins a game and there's no Game 3 in the
championship. So, then you wait for the next series to start. Boris Diaw
is a guy I'm planning on going to watch.'' He is projected in some mock
drafts as a mid- to late-first-round pick. The general scouting report
praises the 6-foot-8-inch forward's athleticism, particularly his quickness.
He is said to be an aggressive offensive rebounder. He certainly has athletic
genes. His mother, Elisabeth Riffiod, has been called the best center in the
history of French women's basketball. His father was a high jump champion
in Senegal . . . It's always a bit risky to bring in a coach before you have
general manager. But the Wizards decided having Nets assistant Eddie
Jordan on board was more important and signed him to replace Doug Collins.
Washington still has no general manager/hoop boss because Wes Unseld is
leaving after the draft. The loss of Jordan could really hurt the Nets
because
he was seen by many to be one of the real engines that drove the New Jersey
train. In addition, he is very tight with Jason Kidd . . . The Spurs wrapped
up
the NBA title a week ago tonight. Lost amid all the Duncan hoopla (well
deserved, nonetheless) was the coaching of Gregg Popovich. He continually
flustered the Nets with a zone and then allowed Speedy Claxton to finish
the deciding game (which he should have done in Game 5, too) instead of the
out-of-it Tony Parker. Popovich wasn't named Coach of the Year for no
reason. He learned from the likes of Larry Brown and Don Nelson, and his
to-the-point style fits well with the non-MTV Spurs. But the Spurs players
got a bit of chuckle when Popovich was presented with the Coach of the
Year award prior to a playoff game. ''He hated it,'' said Steve Kerr. ''He
hated
walking out on the floor that night to get the award. Danny [Ferry] and I
were joking that maybe he was laying it out a little too thick. You know, he
had his head down, he was walking too slow. It was like, `All right, give me
the stupid award.' But I hope he enjoys it because he deserved it.'' Added
Bruce Bowen, ''It says a lot about the man. He's not a guy who's all about
fashion. Or show. Especially fashion.'' . . . The fans in Milwaukee may soon
be getting Michael Jordan -- off the court. Let's hope there's not the
ridiculous hysteria that greeted Jordan's front-office appointment in
Washington. MJ has yet to prove he's even the Brad Sellers of general
managers; his decisions in Washington were puzzling at best, and the team
could not make the playoffs, even in the Eastern Conference. If Jordan does
take over in Milwaukee, that presumably would enable GM Ernie Grunfeld
to leave if he so desired. Charlotte is interested in Grunfeld, as are
Washington and Portland . . . Best of luck to one of the best: Longtime
Cleveland Cavaliers communications director Bob Price is leaving the
organization to -- are you ready? -- teach middle school math. Price
spent 20 years with the Cavs, which means he saw a lot of the good, bad,
and ugly. He's also leaving right as LeBron James is arriving, but he hopes
he still has an in with the ticket folks if things turn around.
We wish him well.