The 5 year plan

You build a team with - Center, Point Guard then Wings (I think Red Aurbach
said that).  Battie is a power forward playing center.  Walker is a small
forward playing power forward, Delk is a shooting guard playing point guard. Look
at this team most of the players on the team play out of position.
If Anige is smart he will ignore the quick fix and systematically start
rebuilding the team.  If they have done their homework (scouting) Anige should have
a good feel for what is out there both in the draft and the possibility of
trades.  First notice that everyone wants to draft the next Michael Jordan.
Trouble is that 15 teams are drafting ahead of you.  There are a few dumb GM's
out there but not 15 of them. Don't look for Jordan in this years draft or any
near future drafts either. Second notice if you don't have a "good" center you
are a second tier team.  Look for that future center.  It may take three years
to develop or find a good one but if we don't start now we won't have a good
one in three years.  The existing team with Pierce is not likely to be a
lottery team or if it does reach the lottery it will not likely have a good chance
at getting a premier Center (top 5 pick).  That probably means we need to
trade or draft for a "Good" prospect.  If they can't find a good center prospect
lets move on to the Point Guard position.  The draft seems to have a number of
prospects this year.  Maybe we make a trade maybe we draft but get someone
that really fits our need.  If a really good point Guard is not there move on to
the Wing players.  In the last number of years it seems that we rely on dumb
luck to get our primary players.  Then we try to fill in the gaps with
peripheral players.  Not much of a plan.  The key is to build toward a good nucleus
that we can build a future on. It doesn't mean drafting for need only but needs
do need to be focused on.  Pierce is one of those key pieces (scorer-wing
player) lets find a center and a point guard. Everyone else should be expendable,
I don't want to wait three years for Baker to retire then try to buy a good
Center.  I also don't want to rely on the Wallace 5 year program of DUMB LUCK!
Danny has the ball let's see what he can do with it.