Interviewed Wallace Tonight

Re: Peter's question about whether the Celts
would draft Collison if they had the chance,
I had a long interview with Wallace today.  I
could tell he thought a lot of Collison, and so
I asked him point blank if the Celtics would
take him if he were available.  He didn't come
out and say yes, but the answer was yes.  His
voice when the said, "he would be a PRIME
candidate for us" suggested ardor.  Didn't care
that he could only bench 175 four times; he's
not drafting him for a power-lifting team.  I think
he really likes Collison.  I can tell when Wallace
is bullshitting / spinning, and this wasn't it.  This
is the guy who did Blue Ribbon Yearbook back
at what he loves best.

Other impressions I picked up that will go into my hoopsworld
draft report include:

-- it doesn't sound like they're looking to move up or
down, or to pick up a second rounder.  The Celtics
seem to feel that they can get two good players
where they are.  They can also afford to pay them
both next year.

-- Wallace is wary about "workout wonders."  Said the
best workout he's ever seen was Keith Van Horn,
and number two was Keon Clark.  And the Celtics
had had Tracy McGrady in.

-- asked about making a Kedrick-type deal, and Wallace defended
the strategy.   Said if you want your guy it's something
you can do.  I asked about the risk of having somebody
great fall to you, and not being able to take him.  He said
he could live with it.  I asked if it was really incredible, like
a Paul Pierce, would they break the promise.  He said that
the world of NBA agents is a small one, and you have to
keep your word.

-- spoke highly of Marcus Banks, saying that he was "explosive,"
a "tremendous defender," and a "star"
in junior college and at UNLV.  Said they hadn't worked
out Barbossa, and that the league he played in was
poorly scouted and that he (wallace) had never seen the
guy play live.

-- Said that TV doesn't do justice to TJ Ford or Kirk Hinrich,
who are so quick that you can basically feel the wind when
they blow by people.

-- said it's harder to judge european players who are young,
because even the best of them get only spot minutes from
their coaches, who are all Pat Rileys who only like to play
veterans.  Also some teams hide good players for contractual
reasons, or to keep them from leaving for the US.

-- talked about the workouts, how they do strength and
flexibility drills, have two guys play each other, or have two
on two games so they can show their court sense.  NBA
rules say they can't do five on five, or even three on three drills.

-- said a team should "throw the roster out the window" when
drafting, and don't let roster issues enter into it at all.  Said you
should draft entirely for quality.  (!)

-- other player quotes:
Pavolic:  "impressive," "textbook jumper"
that's "always true" and near the rim; athletic but may take some
time to develop.  Baby Shaq:  huge, "could be an NFL lineman,"
has "tree trunks for legs" can rebound and knows how to play.
He's six eight.  Zarko: an older player at 22, very skilled offensively,
good ball handler, does one-handed stuff like Connie Hawkins.
David West:  Very productive, legit 6 9, "high character guy," blocks
shots, scores, experience and mature.  A little thin at the 4 spot at
230 something pounds.  But gets the job done.

-- mentioned some other guys, Diaw, Khrypa, Zauh.  Seemed to have a
good handle, but to restate:  most enthusiasm was
for Pavolic, Banks, and Collison.  He doesn't think Collison
or the guy from Georgetown will be available.

-- he might not be with the Celtics come draft time, but has
briefed everybody really well.  He feels that you should have
your player rankings ready to go a day before the draft, and
then just hang out and ignore "stock market type surges" in
value.  Draft day should basically consist of crossing off
players on your list.

Please don't repost this.  It's a Hoopsworld exclusive and I haven't
written it up yet.

Josh