Wayne's world

Someone posted that blurb from Chicago mentioning Ben
Wallace's cousin ... I was curious enough to look him
up. He's not listed among ESPN's profiles of potential
draftees, which leads me to think this guy is at best
a late second-rounder or an undrafted FA ... but if
it's the latter, I sure wouldn't mind the C's having
him in to camp. Good genes ... and maybe we wouldn't
blow it like we did with Big Ben.

>>> Seven other seniors were named to the 12-man
all-conference team including 6-9 Virginia Union
center Wayne Wallace, the first recipient of the
CIAA's new Defensive Player of the Year award.
Wallace, a senior from Whitehall, Al., and nephew to
former VUU standout and current NBA all-star Ben
Wallace of the Detroit Pistons, played last year under
the name Wayne Taylor but changed his last name to his
mother's maiden name (Wallace) this season. He has
averaged a double-double at 14.2 points and 11.9
rebounds per game and added 2.8 blocks per game. The
rebounding and block averages are the best in the
conference though Wallace is not listed in conference
statistics after missing several games early in the
season after breaking his wrist. Wallace's inside
presence has helped propel VUU (15-7) to the top of
the East Division standings.<<

NBADraft.net lists Wallace's weight as only 187, which
seems implausible to me since that's not much more
than I weigh at 6'2 ... another site has him listed at
215, which still makes him a pogo stick, but probably
not much skinner than Battie when he came into the
league. Anyway, if he's got even a smidge of his
uncle's hunger, he'd be worth a look. Then again, he
could just be trading on the famous name and some
flashy stats from a lower-tier conference.