Ira Winderman Camp Profile

Good info from the Sun Sentinel reporter... (My speculation)
Kaman seems to be dropping, may get picked after Podkolzine now.
Knicks may indeed get him.  Bosh is slipping. Ford could go
to Toronto at 4.

Many teams mum on plans for top picks

By Ira Winderman
Staff Writer
Posted June 7 2003

CHICAGO 7 Scrimmages at the NBA pre-draft camp came to a close Friday
with few teams tipping their hands regarding the top picks.

The Raptors, who, at No. 4, select one spot ahead of the Heat, have
talked about trading the pick. But, at the same time, General Manager
Glen Grunwald has taken in private workouts this week by Texas point
guard T.J. Ford and Central Michigan center Chris Kaman, players
expected to go between No. 4 and No. 10.

"I think it's true that there's no consensus where we pick," Grunwald
said. "There's a break after the third pick. Who the next best player is
probably is open to debate right now."

What is known is Ford has been outstanding in his workouts, hitting
jumpers at a higher percentage than anticipated by skeptics, playing at
a speed that offsets his 5-foot-10 stature. Kaman, by contrast, has
proven out of shape and limited, the 7-footer possibly already having
dropped beyond Heat interest at No. 5.

Some project Georgia Tech freshman forward Chris Bosh as the No. 4
selection. But one NBA scout said expectations shouldn't be too high.

"He's a three-man without broad shoulders, so how's he going to fill
out?" the scout said. Bosh is listed at 6-10, 210 pounds.

As for the possibility of the Heat trading up to No. 3 to nab Syracuse
forward Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe warned
not to get caught up in the rumors of Denver dealing the pick.

"I've said the same thing all along: It would be very difficult for us
to trade that pick," he reiterated, with Cleveland to take LeBron James
at No. 1 and Detroit expected to take European center Darko Milicic at
No. 2. "I'm not saying anything is impossible, but that would be
difficult for us."

But Vandeweghe seems to be leaving the door open, with workouts planned
for players expected to be selected beyond the top three picks.

"We look at a variety of things," he said. "We will bring those guys
in."

JONES UNEVEN

For University of Miami forward James Jones, the daily scrimmages proved
an uneven experience. He shot 10 of 17 in his three games, but, to some,
stood as little more than a shooter.

"His shot was the big thing. He's starting to look like a legit
three-man," one scout said of Jones' shift from power forward with UM to
NBA small forward. "He'll get a lot of tryouts now."

Another scout was less impressed. "Too slow," he said. "He did not move
up here."

GRADING OUT

As for others in the camp: Boston College's Troy Bell displayed enough
offense to merit a selection at the end of the first round, but stands
miscast at point guard. ... Alabama's Maurice Williams proved to be the
best point guard in camp, but remains well behind a host of top-tier
point guards who bypassed the event. ... By contrast, Washington State's
6-6 Marcus Moore proved he is not much of a point guard, let alone the
possible early selection some had forecast.

Duke guard Dahntay Jones offered enough athleticism to merit an early
second-round selection, but must show more with his shooting. ...
Arizona forward Luke Walton had his best moments as a passer, possibly
to find a niche with a team with a continuity offense. ... Kentucky
guard Keith Bogans consistently nailed jumpers, boosting his chances
after a miserable showing in Chicago last year. ... Prep center James
Lang showed continued improvement each day.

Creighton forward Kyle Korver proved he's worthy of selection based on
his shooting, but small athletic presence. ... UCLA forward Jason Kapono
displayed a consistent jumper. ... Utah forward Britton Johnson grabbed
enough attention to move closer to the top of the second round, where
the Heat selects at No. 33.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com.

Copyright ) 2003, South Florida Sun-Sentinel