Bell out to make a point

By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 6/7/2003

HICAGO -- While Troy Bell distinguished himself in four seasons at Boston
College, he faced a tougher task at the four-day NBA predraft camp that
concluded last night. The annual tryout at the Moody Bible Institute brought
together 66 candidates who hoped to impress NBA representatives and improve
their draft status during an exhausting schedule of drills and scrimmages. By
all appearances, Bell succeeded in highlighting his talents in the crowded
field.

''I think Troy Bell has really helped himself this week,'' said Celtics
general manager Chris Wallace. ''He is a serious candidate for a first-round
draft spot. He's done the things that he did at Boston College, put points up
on the board, make virtually all his free throws, shoot the ball well from
3-point range. He also has looked good in a playmaking role and defended
[well]. He's done everything asked this week.''

Bell can judge his performance based on the additional teams interested in
working him out. This week, he learned he has at least six new cities to
visit, though he could not exactly remember his itinerary for the upcoming
weeks.

''I feel I had to have helped [my stock],'' said Bell. ''But you never know.
It all depends on what they like that day.''

Playing in three scrimmages, Bell averaged 18 points and 3 assists. His best
all-around performance came Wednesday night, when he collected 17 points, 7
assists, 4 steals, and just 2 turnovers. The assist-to-turnover ratio is
especially important, considering Bell wants to play the point in the pros.

The better Bell plays at point guard, the better his chances are of moving up
in the draft. At least, that's what he has heard. Players participating in the
camp are usually destined for late first-round and second-round selections.
The Celtics, who hold the No. 16 and 20 picks, are interested in Bell. And
Bell said playing professionally in the same town where he went to college
would be ''a great opportunity.''

''I've heard a lot,'' said Bell. ''I've heard everything from mid-first round
to mid-second. I just want to come out and clear up any doubts that anybody
has. They just want to make sure I'm a point guard. Everybody knows I can
score and things like that. They just want to see that I can distribute. I
already know I can do that. I have nothing to hide. That's why I'm here.

''I think all my workouts have been going pretty well. I'm playing pretty well
here right now. Nobody's said [they'd take me]. Sometimes when you talk to the
GMs you can get a certain feel if they liked you. I just sit back and wait.
I'm just excited to be here.''

Since graduating last month, Bell has worked out for the Celtics, Nuggets,
Pistons, Sonics, and Warriors. He thought the session with Danny Ainge,
Boston's director of basketball operations, went well, though coming off
graduation and moving out of his dorm left Bell a little tired that day. In
part, the Celtics' workout included 2-on-2 and 1-on-1 drills, bench press and
pullup tests, and a videotaped interview.

The Celtics asked Bell what areas he felt he needed to improve. There was
nothing Bell would rule out, though he has made improving point guard skills a
priority.

''I'm willing to work on everything now,'' he said. ''This is a whole new
level. Whatever a guy thinks I can do to be a better player, I'm on it. You
can always work on your dribbling. I've constantly got to work on my
dribbling, shooting. I don't have school anymore, so I've got a lot of time to
work on things. I'm trying to work on everything and anything.''

After camp, Bell plans to head home to Minnesota for some rest before
attending several more workouts before the June 26 draft.

''It's fun,'' said Bell. ''This is basically all work right here, but it's
fun. This is what I've worked so hard for and I'm enjoying myself. I thought
it was going to be everybody out for themselves and things like that, but
people are passing the ball, which is surprising. Guys are unselfish. Most
guys are upperclassmen anyway, so they know how to play the game. So, it's
been fun so far.''

Thanks,

Steve
sb@maine.rr.com

[demime 1.01b removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of C.gif]