ESPN: Bell shredding at Moody

Big East player of the Year and second team All-American Troy Bell led the way
Wednesday, scoring 17 points, handing out seven assists and registering a
tournament-high four steals in 20 minutes. His play drew rave reviews from the
crowd.

Last week, Bell told Insider in Detroit during an individual workout with the
Pistons that he was going to prove to scouts he was a real point guard.

"I know scouts aren't watching me to see if I can score," Bell said then. "I
think I've proven that in college. I'm better off averaging eight assists per
game than 20 points per game. I'll tell you what, I'm going to be looking for
my teammates."

I caught up with him in the hotel after the game, and Bell was all smiles.
"What did I tell you?" Bell said with a grin. "I told my teammates I'd give
them some love."

He did, and he found a way to let loose a game-high 13 shots as well. That's
what NBA teams like even more -- a guy who can score and find his teammates.
With Bell's superior strength, good perimeter shooting and size for a point
guard (he officially measured 6-foot-2 in Chicago), he could turn into a
first-round sleeper if he continues to play well.

Bell wasn't the only point guard who played well. Jameer Nelson of St.
Joseph's had 13 points, seven assists and no turnovers. But scouts still feel
he'd be better off going back to school.

"I think he has the chance to be a much higher pick next year," one assistant
GM told Insider. "The point guard field is as crowded as it's ever been. He
has the potential to sneak into the first round this year, but next year he'd
be a lock."

Nelson's measurements won't help him either. He measured 5-foot-11 without
shoes and 6-feet with.

Slovenian point guard Alexander Vujacic also played well, finishing with seven
assists. He measured in at 6-7 with shoes and showed a flair for zipping the
ball around the court. His assist total would have been closer to 12, but his
teammates missed several wide open finishes.

Like Bell, Vujacic, who's also a scorer in Europe, is trying to prove to
scouts he's a real point, even at 6-7. "I want to come out and prove that I'm
a team player. I love the assist, and I'm trying to show that, because I know
many people here don't know me. ... Maybe the last day I'll also show them I
can shoot too."

He doesn't need to worry. Scouts noticed his jumper in the early morning
drills. "He can play himself into the mid first round if he continues to play
like that," one scout said. "He's 19, runs the floor well and seems to have a
great feel. Everyone's in the market for a 6-7 point guard who can shoot."

Hawaii's Carl English also generated a buzz. At 6-5, he has great size and
seemed comfortable running the point when he got the chance. He ended with 13
points and three assists.

"He's intriguing," one Western Conference coach told Insider. "He's got a nice
NBA body, he's pretty quick, and he's a good shooter. I think he'll really
help himself here."