vin baker

What caught my eye about this article was what Bruce Allen said in
his Bostonmediabolg [http://www.bostonsportsmedia.com/]:

>Steve Bulpett reports on Vin Baker joining an NBA program to care
>for his "psychological condition". This program will give him a
>network of support in each NBA city. Reading between the lines of
>this piece, it's clear though, that Baker isn't too keen on
>returning to the Celtics.

but I guess I don't really see that -- other than the suggestion that
at some point Baker might just walk away and leave whatever is left
on the table there.  Sometimes I have to remind myself that "Vin
Baker (c. 1993) isn't walking through that door", but as a fellow
human being I hope he gets things straightened out and as a Celtics
fan I hope he can contribute.  Heck if he could give us 10 pts. 10
reb a game I'd faint of happiness.  Big dreams but a straightened out
Baker would be a big shot in the arm.

---------------------------------------

Baker to join NBA program
by Steve Bulpett
Thursday, June 5, 2003

CHICAGO - Vin Baker will be treated as much for a psychological
condition as for alcoholism once a new agreement is completed
regarding his situation, sources said yesterday. That care will be
handled by the NBA, and any future fines will be paid to player
benefit programs.

The reworked agreement should be completed within the next few weeks
at the latest, and will bear little resemblance to the document
signed by Baker under some measure of duress Feb. 27. That agreement
purported to allow the Celtics to fine and suspend the backup center.

The club will be made to effectively divorce itself from the process
this time around - to the point where it will not even receive the
results of Baker's tests for alcohol where they are administered.

Drinking clearly was an issue for Baker before and since his arrival
in Boston, but his problems with depression might be a larger matter.
A source close to Baker said yesterday the weight of coming back to
play in Boston is a heavy burden on the former All-Star.

``I know Vin has a lot of money coming to him (nearly $44 million
during the next three seasons),'' the source said. ``But I wouldn't
be totally shocked if he just walked away from it at some point if
things got tough for him. That's pretty much what he did in February.
He signed what they gave him so it would all go away.''

When it was suggested Baker could be celebrated if he deals with his
problems and becomes a contributing member of the Celtics, the source
said, ``That's true, but one bad day to someone like Vin could be
like a thousand bad days to someone else. He's facing something
that's very hard right now, and I hope people will understand that.
The problems Vin has might be hard for some people to understand, but
this is a terrible thing to have to go through.''

Baker voluntarily will step into the NBA's aftercare program, and he
will have a network of people in each city to assist him.

``I don't want to talk about any one player specifically,'' a league
source said. ``But anyone in the program has full access to support
around the country and around the clock.''

Baker needed to voluntarily accept entry into the program because
alcohol is not covered in the substance section of the collective
bargaining agreement between the league and the Players Association.

Attorneys from both the league and the association stepped in
immediately after learning of the Feb. 27 accord between Baker and
the Celtics - the players' group was upset about the potential for
damaging precedent (Baker surrendering his rights) and the NBA
concerned about legal reprisal.

The Celtics attempted to use the physical problems caused by Baker's
drinking as a point of law to try to recover salary from him, but
that will be blocked. The club sought to make Baker pass a series of
tests before it had to resume paying him, but that process will not
be part of the ultimate agreement.

It will be up to the NBA's contracted medical staff to determine
whether Baker is complying with the terms of his aftercare. If he
does not (something more than an occasional minor slip), the director
will have the authority to suspend him. According to the league's
substance abuse policy, the first instance would be with pay. The
penalties would increase to the point where Baker could be suspended
without salary. Again, the Celtics will get no benefit from this.

New Celtics head of basketball operations Danny Ainge said yesterday
at a pre-draft camp he still is quite hopeful Baker will be able to
play an important role for the Celts this season.