Re: consensus on draftees

--- You wrote:
So, here's my short list of possibilities (and I have not followed this like
WayRay or others):  any of the foreign corps like Lampe, Pietrus, Pavlovic and
Barbosa, then Hayes and Collison, and West at #20 if we're delighted with our
#16 pick and think a banger/rebounder could help our second team--heck, he's
probably better than EWill right now.  Still, I long for Steve Blake and will
forever utter his excellence--until he proves he can't make anyone's squad and
heads off to Europe.  Maybe if he disguised himself as Steveya Blakovic and
returned as a star from the Ukranian national team?  Cheers, Gene
--- end of quote ---

I'll preface this by saying that I have not seen any of these guys play (except
for Hinrich, Collison, and Carmelo, once) and I don't know anything about them
except the little that I've read. Based on that tiny fraction of information
compared to what's available to the BDT, I like:

1) Lampe, because he seems to have enough length and talent, but most
importantly, because it sounds like he has an unbelievable work ethic and
desire to improve. Those are the players that succeed in the NBA, if they have
an adequate amount of talent.

2) Pavlovic - he sounds like another Peja or at least Hedo. The Yugos have by
far the most competitive basketball environment outside of the American ghetto.
If you can stand out there, chances are you'll do OK here. Besides, they really
know how to teach the fundamentals there.

3) Barbosa - seems to have the physical tools and possibly the necessary desire
to succeed, but may not be able to contribute for a long time.

4) Delfino - conjures up images of Manu in my head. Of course, he could be
another Wolkowyski, instead another Ginobili, but he sounds closer to the
latter.

5) Maybe Pietrus, can't recall why right now.

I'd stay the hell away from Diaw, for the reasons I've written about before. I
wasn't impressed with either Hinrich or Collison, but maybe they'll turn out to
be OK NBA players, I don't know. Those who watched them for years at KU should
have a much better idea how they'll do. The Podkolzin guy sounds like a Russian
Big Country, but without the skills that Reeves had. Maybe Khryapa will turn
out OK.  I haven't formed a strong impression about any of the other available
prospects in our range.

It will be interesting to see if we, going on so little information, will outdo
the BDT once again.

Kestas