Ainge off and running: Has Celtics up to speed at pre-draft camp (Herald story)

I've included the story AND the link. If it doesn't show up, I wash my hands
of it. (Josh, I know what you mean. I read the posts online in the archives
as well, and some are blank for no apparent reason. Who knows why?)

Anyway, I don't know if there's a lot of interesting stuff in here. I say
that because Ainge isn't going to tip his hand in the newspapers. He
mentions Reece Gaines (ugh), Pavlovic (OK) and Britton Johnsen (huh?) as
guys who have stood out in workouts so far. Of course, he says he's working
off a list of the top 40 prospects provided by Papile and Wallace, so we're
probably doomed. Remember, Mark Blount and Bruno Sundov were top-10 picks
according to those two.

He also says he's planning on checking in on Antoine while in Chicago.

I think last night was the first night of games at the Chicago pre-draft
camp. Haven't seen any news about it yet, but if anyone comes across
anything, please post it.

Mark

http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/celtics/celts06042003.htm
<http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/celtics/celts06042003.htm>
Ainge off and running: Has Celtics up to speed at pre-draft camp

by Steve Bulpett
Wednesday, June 4, 2003
CHICAGO - Danny Ainge has already changed the Celtics' tempo, believing he
has a fast break on evaluations for the June 26 draft as the NBA gathered
here for its annual scouting combine.
The Celtics new head of basketball operations was feeling very comfortable
as he settled in for the first session of the pre-draft camp last night.
Before he even arrived in town, a few players had caught his eye.
``We're kind of ahead of the game,'' said Ainge, who, barring a trade, holds
the 16th and 20th selections in the first round. ``Normally most of the
workouts start seriously after Chicago, and that's still the case, but we've
been able to become familiar with a lot of players. We've had in as many
guys as we've been able to get who are in maybe that top 40 range that Leo
(Papile, Celtics personnel director) and Chris (Wallace, general manager)
have identified.
``I've watched a lot of film on them, but seeing them in person helps more.