Blazer denials. Cheeks is gone.

----- Original Message -----
From: <Douglas342@AOL.com>

> 1997:  It's all good with Pitino.  So please ... all my little daffodils
> should be in bloom now.  It's springtime for us Celtics fans.
>
> 2000:  It's all good with Obie.  So please ... all my little daffodils
should
> be in bloom now.  It's springtime for us Celtics fans.

There you go Douglas. See how easy that was. And listen...before we begin
the trashing of Ainge for his quick signature on the extension for Jimmy O,
it's obvious that if you look at all the coaches floating around without
jobs, Danny made the right move. I'm sure Danny has no regrets.

One more thing. From this morning's Oregonian:

Blazers deny Cheeks rumors

06/01/03

The Trail Blazers denied reports Saturday that they had changed their minds
and would allow the Philadelphia 76ers to talk to coach Maurice Cheeks about
their coaching vacancy.

Philadelphia asked permission to talk to Cheeks after Larry Brown stepped
down as vice president and coach of the 76ers after six seasons Monday, but
that request was rejected Wednesday.

After Rick Carlisle was fired Saturday as coach of the Detroit Pistons,
reports surfaced that the Blazers had reconsidered their position on letting
the 76ers talk to Cheeks, and that Portland was considering replacing Cheeks
with Carlisle.

That was news to the Blazers.

"We made our statement last week, and I can tell you that nothing has
changed," Blazers spokesman Mike Hanson said.

A story on the Detroit News' Web site Saturday reported that the Blazers had
reversed their stand toward the 76ers and said Carlisle "could be signing on
to coach the Portland Trail Blazers sometime this week."

-- Jim Beseda

Paul M.